Great beat lost, now what?

• Members

:facepalm:

I was playing around on my synth, and all of a sudden I got this great riff goin, and then when i went to record it on my computer, and I just totally lost it,

nothing came to me. at all.

so my question now, is there something i could buy to use with my roland sh 201 so that i could capture EVERYTHING i play, and discard whatever I will not use, thanks :)

or anything along these lines

• Members

I don't know if you're talking to me or asking a question but, I am looking for something fairly portable.

i.e. I can use it when I'm not at my computer and preferably can work without being plugged in.

Get a keyboard with an on board sequencer. All you need is the keyboard. And since it's midi, later you can find out what the notes are.

I got a Korg TR that has this and I've fooling around with it. It's pretty fun. When I get something I can then bring it into Cubase.

• Members

:facepalm:

I was playing around on my synth, and all of a sudden I got this great riff goin, and then when i went to record it on my computer, and I just totally lost it,

nothing came to me. at all.

so my question now, is there something i could buy to use with my roland sh 201 so that i could capture EVERYTHING i play, and discard whatever I will not use, thanks
:)

or anything along these lines

Umm, the computer!

Seriously, why don't you just record all the time?

Don't buy an expensive digital recorder. Your computer IS an expensive digital recorder. Use it!

• Members

Umm, the computer!

Seriously, why don't you just record all the time?

Don't buy an expensive digital recorder. Your computer IS an expensive digital recorder. Use it!

This, a million times.

If you haven't taken the time to set up your DAW to do exactly this, spend the time. It's cheaper than blowing another $300 on a recorder, which is going to have its own idiosyncrasies.

• Members

This, a million times.

If you haven't taken the time to set up your DAW to do exactly this, spend the time. It's cheaper than blowing another $300 on a recorder, which is going to have its own idiosyncrasies.

im not always near my computer, ex. at school, friend's house, jam with band mates etc.

• Members

A computer doesn't have faders, realtime controls and monitoring. My MRS-8 does. I have a bunch of computers with DAW software. I still prefer the MRS-8 for portable multitracking. I turn it on, it is ready to go in seconds, and it doesn't get worms/ viruses/ spyware/ updates/ crashes/ reboots/ popups or anything else. It just works. Then after laying down the tracks, I can move them to a computer for mastering. For live recording of a band, I would probably go with the Korg D888 or better, with enough simultaneous channels to handle the job. These multitrack recorders can serve double duty as live mixers, so they aren't really that expensive if you look at the price difference between them.

• Members

and it doesn't get worms/ viruses/ spyware/ updates/ crashes/ reboots/ popups or anything else

If everyone's computers here, or for that matter, all computers all over the world acted like the nightmare scenario that's been trotted out every single time threads like these pop up, nobody would ever use them. Since this is not the case, using this as an argument is FUD :p.

Now, portability's a better argument :).

• Members

If everyone's computers here, or for that matter, all computers all over the world acted like the nightmare scenario that's been trotted out every single time threads like these pop up,
nobody would ever use them
. Since this is not the case, using this as an argument is FUD
:p

Now, portability's a better argument
:)

You eliminated my other argument in your selective quoting: better usability with hardware designed for the purpose at hand. General purpose computers with big screens and mouse-based navigation are great for some things, and much worse for others. I don't see a computer having the simplicity of a device that records by pressing a record button, changing levels by adjusting a fader, with a display that shows relevant info like BPM, measure, bar, time, etc, nor a computer with a midi controller having DAW controls vs. a single multi-track.

• Members

That's because I agree with that point; I only selected what I didn't agree with. Well - agree in the sense that while hitting "record" is (arguably) easier, it's negated when you want to do something with what you've recorded on the device itself; renaming, moving, cutting, etc. For straight dumping the contents of the CF/HD to the computer, not an issue.

• Members

That's because I agree with that point; I only selected what I didn't agree with. Well - agree in the sense that while hitting "record" is (arguably) easier, it's negated when you want to do something with what you've recorded on the device itself; renaming, moving, cutting, etc. For straight dumping the contents of the CF/HD to the computer, not an issue.

If you prefer using a computer, I'm certainly not gonna stop ya or object. I'm not strongly against it in any case. I'm more concerned about my laptop being a bigger target for theft than my cheaper MRS-8. If I had a Macbook Pro, I'd be even more concerned with someone grabbing it. :)

Archived