Need some help with sorting out what I want/need (Nord/P90/Moog)

• Members

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is a mundane question, but I'm looking to really reconsider what instruments I have and need. Right now I have a Moog Little Phatty, Yamaha P-90, and Wurlitzer 200. I want either a Nord Electro 2 or Stage. I'm looking to get rid of the LP, but then I would only get an Electro 2. Whereas, if I got rid of the P-90 and LP I could trade for or get a stage.

This is my dilemma, I am pretty fond of the Yamaha P-90 for piano sound/feel. I've heard good things about the Nord Stage (I'd go for 76 or 88). I've searched Ebay and couldn't find any P90s listed to reference for price that they go for these days. Any help on this?

In fact, what do you think I should do? I'd like to keep either the P90 or Wurly. But again, I've gone from wanting just an Electro 2 to looking more at the stages. I want the EPs, acoustic piano, and organ...likely in that order. If I got an electro 2, I'd have to buy something for reverb as well.

I guess right now my ideal idea is either:

Get rid of Moog ---- Get Nord Electro (61 or 73)

Get rid of Moog and Yamaha ---- Get Nord Stage (try to trade or something)

Thanks in advance for the help,

pianorocker

• Members

If I were you, I'd go for option one. Ditch the moog and get an electro. I'd keep the Yamaha. I've tried it and the Nord Stage. In my opinion, the P90 has a really good solid action and the usual great Yamaha sound. I think you'd miss it. I wasn't blown away by the Stage considering its price.

Just my two "pence"

Nick (British dude)

• Members

Thanks for the help. I'm not huge into synths to be honest, that's why the Phatty I have is essentially new. I'm really looking for EP's, Acoustics, and then organ in my sound.

Also, why is it that no Yamaha P-90s are up on ebay or in the completed listings? I mean, this isn't that uncommon right? Is everyone just keeping them...I know Yamaha's latest models haven't really impressed me compared to the P-90.

• Members

I have a P90. You want it? I don't like the sound of it. I don't like the action. I want a Nord Electro 3. Until then, I will use a cheap VMK 88 as a controller to run my trusty old Kurz PC2R

I have one too.

Yeah, I guess I'll just assume I'll get an Electro 2. Unless I can find someone to trade a stage for my P-90 and LP. I just am torn between 61 and 73 key for the electro now.

• Members

I have a P90. You want it? I don't like the sound of it. I don't like the action. I want a Nord Electro 3. Until then, I will use a cheap VMK 88 as a controller to run my trusty old Kurz PC2R

Also, what don't you like about the p-90...I've always thought the feel couldn't be beat. :poke:

• Members

Why an Electro 2 instead of a 3? The 3 has reverb. I think the price difference is something like $400 between a new 2 and a 3. For me, not having to haul and set up a stereo reverb unit was worth the difference in itself. Nevermind the other features like improved organ.

I think P90 plus Electro (2 or 3) would be a killer rig. For me, the Nord pianos don't quite do the trick, which made it hard to justify the cost of a Stage.

• Members

Why an Electro 2 instead of a 3? The 3 has reverb. I think the price difference is something like $400 between a new 2 and a 3. For me, not having to haul and set up a stereo reverb unit was worth the difference in itself. Nevermind the other features like improved organ.

I think P90 plus Electro (2 or 3) would be a killer rig. For me, the Nord pianos don't quite do the trick, which made it hard to justify the cost of a Stage.

Well, I'm basically looking at used ones and cost is a factor. I mean I could get a used 73 key for 1000 and a Boss RV-5 stereo reverb pedal or lexicon rack for 75-150 used. Also, are they planning on coming out with hard cases for the new electros? I definitely was going to pick one up if I got a 61 or 73 key electro 2.

• Members

I figure I'll get 700-800 cash without shipping/fees if I sell my LP through paypal online. I'm really hesitant about selling my Wurly. I mean the additional sounds are great, and I know the organ sound is superior. But as I said, I'm looking mostly for Wurly then other EPs...organ is not a huge priority. And I don't need anything too crazy for reverb, that's why I figure I could get it out of a Boss RV-5

• Members

Does the 61 to 73 keys really make a difference in the electro? I know it has octave shift things, but I'm just wondering how limited the 61's range is. I know my Wurly only has 64 keys so just wondering. I am going to be using it more for the EPs than organ...hm.

• Members

I had a P-90. It had OK piano, which however didn't seem to cut live, mediocre Rhodes (the ones on P-120 and S-90 are way better), and the wurli didn't sound anything like real.

My Stage kills the P-90.

I love it for the feel and the piano isn't too bad compared to a lot I've heard. I'd love to get a stage, but I figure the only way that's going to happen is if someone wants to trade me one for my LP and P-90. I just want a nord. :love:

• Members

Well, that's a good reason to get the 2, especially if you can get a cheap used one. It's actually quite cheap for a nice board.

Man, don't sell your Wurli. It's worth more to have it than the money, and then the money gets spent and there are no more Wurli's. Well, that's my somewhat romatic take on it-- of course my Rhodes doesn't leave the studio much any more, and hardly gets played at all.

I went for the 73. I figured it would be better for dual-manual organ splits. Also my Rhodes has 73 keys. And it's only a few pounds heavier than the 61... and still lighter than any of my other boards. I also figured it would be more useable as a stand-alone instrument (without the rest of my setup) with 73 keys.

But if you're used to the Wurli, and you don't plan on doing organ splits, the 61 key could be just the thing.

• Members

Well, that's a good reason to get the 2, especially if you can get a cheap used one. It's actually quite cheap for a nice board.

Man, don't sell your Wurli. It's worth more to have it than the money, and then the money gets spent and there are no more Wurli's. Well, that's my somewhat romatic take on it-- of course my Rhodes doesn't leave the studio much any more, and hardly gets played at all.

I went for the 73. I figured it would be better for dual-manual organ splits. Also my Rhodes has 73 keys. And it's only a few pounds heavier than the 61... and still lighter than any of my other boards. I also figured it would be more useable as a stand-alone instrument (without the rest of my setup) with 73 keys.

But if you're used to the Wurli, and you don't plan on doing organ splits, the 61 key could be just the thing.

Yeah, I'm not really looking to dump the Wurly. I was just thinking that apparently that's one of the best patches on the Nords. I'm just trying to downsize, but I'll likely not be letting that go.

Question about the Electro 2's: the waterfall action, is it just like an organ? Do you get different tones from the pianos over a broad range (not just soft and hard)? I'm definitely leaning to the Electro 2 just because of price and my lack of need for the majority of new features (only really need the reverb).

• Members

I'm in a different boat here. I have a p90 and love it for practicality. I used it live and it cut through fine for me in bigger venues. I got a Nord stage to replace it and the stage didn't cut it for me. For the $, I expected more. Right now I am waiting the S90XS 76. Its supposed to be a fully weighted action. To me the Motif EX sound with the S90 options would be king. I still have my P90 and won't sell it as I love the action and sound plus its practical for live piano use.

• Members

I'm in a different boat here. I have a p90 and love it for practicality. I used it live and it cut through fine for me in bigger venues. I got a Nord stage to replace it and the stage didn't cut it for me. For the $, I expected more. Right now I am waiting the S90XS 76. Its supposed to be a fully weighted action. To me the Motif EX sound with the S90 options would be king. I still have my P90 and won't sell it as I love the action and sound plus its practical for live piano use.

Interesting. Yeah, my main deterrent is the price of the stage. It should sound amazing if I'm going to justify paying that much. I'm going to sell my LP and go for the Electro 2 61 key I think. That way I can carry it around on my back haha. :love:

I still can't even imagine what a 17 lb keyboard feels like to carry around...I've been toting the P90, Wurly, and a Rhodes throughout playing.

• Members

Also, what don't you like about the p-90...I've always thought the feel couldn't be beat. :poke:

Have you ever had to play "Killer" type triplets i.e. Good Golly Miss Molly type 4ths in the upper register? The keys don't bounce back fast enough. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, I don't know.

• Members

Have you ever had to play "Killer" type triplets i.e. Good Golly Miss Molly type 4ths in the upper register? The keys don't bounce back fast enough. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, I don't know.

It is a little bit heavier feel...but mine was never that bad. Especially on the upper registers because aren't those supposed to be looser feeling like a real piano? I always though so, and it felt that way to me?

Also, what's a reasonable price for a used Nord Electro 2 (61 and 73 keys)? A lot of places say they are discontinued...

Archived