Waterfall keyboard

mcpepe

• Members

I have never played a waterfall keyboard type.

To compare I own a Kuzweil PC3x, a Novation Remote 37SL and a Yamaha SY77, and have owned a Korg M1, Yamaha P90, Alesis QS8...

How is the waterfall keyboard of a Nord Electro 3? It is somewhat between a synth action and weighted action?

I want to know how would i play piano in one of this.

• Members

Waterfall keys are not really a matter of weighted vs non weighted, it's a style of key. Look on your current boards- each key has a little lip at the front. Not good for doing organ type techniques like palm glissandos. The waterfall key removes that lip, and extends the key straight down into the keybed. It's a very smooth edge that won't carve you up when you play aggressively.

I don't know how the action is different on the NE3 vs NE2, if it is at all, but playing piano on the NE2 is similar to playing it on the SY77 or M1. There are differences in the key response- not as springy as the SY, but it's a very responsive keyboard and it was easy for me to adapt to playing piano parts on it.

• Members

The NE3 keybed has a very slightly firmer action than the NE2 and it appears to have a new "finish" on the keys which gives a smoother surface - either way the "feel" and weighting is superb IMO. You can't adjust the velocity curve - but you don't need to - it's perfect!

I've always found the Electro waterfall keybed to be the perfect balance for organ, synth and piano but obviously this is very subjective - you have to try it as always.

Next best waterfall keybed (I've used) is on the Roland V-Combo - not as good as the Electro as the keys are too narrow (as most synth action keys are)

• Members

Even though I like the present velocity of the E3, I'm still waiting for an update to add velocity curves. I just want it for the versatility. But yea, unlike many, I actually think that playing the piano on the semiweighted keys rocks - well, not as good as weighted keys, but I can get along decently.

Also, I've always thought about this: WHY do weighted keys actually have that lip? I suppose the acoustic piano started it all, but what does it actually do?

• Members

Also, I've always thought about this: WHY do weighted keys actually have that lip? I suppose the acoustic piano started it all, but what does it actually do?

Allow me to play 2 keys with my thumb? rip up my hand?

• Members

I've never been able to play piano on anything less than fully weighted action before now. I've had the Electro 3 for about a week, and I think it's going to work for piano. Maybe not for a solo piano gig, but with a band no problem. It's going to take some getting used to, but it seems workable. I have a heavy touch on the piano but when I concentrate, I find the Nord to be perfectly responsive. Its just a matter of adapting.

• Members

Traditional keys are wood with ivory on top and something white (cellulose, I think, on my 1916 upright) on the front. The ivory has to overlap the front and the lip hides the joint. A molded plastic key doesn't need that.

Archived