No announcement yet.

Juno 106 chip revival

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juno 106 chip revival

I've mentioned before that I recently replaced a few of the infamous chips in my 106 from a donor and shortly thereafter another voice decided to act up. Today I decided to try that trick about removing the coating on the chip to see if that revives it.

I removed the problem chip this evening and presently it's soaking in a bath of acetone. I'll post updates and pics here and let you know if it's really a viable solution!
    Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Isn't Kerry Bradley doing some work in this area?

I used to try and hack around with the 80017a and discovered it wasn't my gig.

Comment

I'd be interested to see if it works. Seen quite a few 'faulty' 106s advertised lately. Wouldn't mind getting a cheap fixer/upper to have a go with.
      Vive La Synthesizer!

Comment

a couple places make new voice chips for the 106 if it doesnt work out.

Comment

I have about 4 or 5 faulty ones, but never had the time to get them "fixed"
          * Join the group for Yamaha CP60/70/80 pianos: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/yamahacp
          * Join the group for Kawai and Teisco analog synths: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/kawai-teisco

Comment

So far so good, but slowly. The coating had softened enough by this morning that I was able to scrape off the edges to let the acetone get underneath. I'll see what it looks like when I get home!
            Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

* Join the group for Yamaha CP60/70/80 pianos: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/yamahacp
              * Join the group for Kawai and Teisco analog synths: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/kawai-teisco

Comment

Yeah... it is kind of squicky. But, the chip's already going bad, so it's not like I can make it worse, right?
                Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Is it the coating itself that causes the problem?
                  Vive La Synthesizer!

Comment

That's what's been thought. This isn't my idea, someone else had posted this a few months back. I couldn't find the thread, though.

Hey, if it works, then WOOT, 'cause while warming up the Juno to find the bad voice, ANOTHER voice started freaking out with resonance.

Ugh. I think my Juno just wants to go quietly into the night. (or not-so-quietly, really.)
                    Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

How much do new chips cost?

I know a guy who has a 106 that he hasn't used in 20 years. I've always wanted to buy it from him but knowing that they're all dying doesn't exactly put a flame under my butt to wheel and deal. It's there when/if I want it, I suppose. Also, who's the source for new chips?

One of the holes in my arsenal is a true analogue polysynth. The 106 would kind of fill that hole. A dual oscillator per voice poly would be ideal. But at this point, they're double the problems and double the expense. No way I'd pay a couple grand for a vintage Prophet, Oberheim, or Jupiter with their voice cards and chips dying. Especially when I just get off on making ELO sounds.
                      Alesis QS8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Oberheim OB-12, E-MU Vintage Keys Plus, Rhodes 73 Stage, Wurlitzer 145, Wurlitzer 146B, Wurlitzer 206A, Yamaha CP-70B, Yamaha CP-30, Kawai EP-608, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Mellotron M400, Hammond M-3, Vox Jaguar, Baldwin Fun Machine, Wurlitzer MLM, SCI Pro-One, Moog Rogue, Arp Explorer I, Moog Opus 3, Arp Omni 2, Multivox MX-202, Crumar Orchestrator, Crumar Performer, Akai AX80, Akai AX60 w/S612 sampler, Korg Poly 800, Ensoniq Mirage, Roland CR-78.

Comment

Just Googled for you :

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Make sure you have the right coffee can though.
                        Never mind, I just wanted an avatar | Custom scripts for Greasemonkey

Comment

How much do new chips cost?

I think a full set of 6 chips is somewhere around $300.

Thanks, Poumtschak, that's exactly the video I meant!
                          Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Also finally got to play an OASYS ...

Do please give us your thoughts, feelings, etc. in an appropriate thread, O Touring One.
                            Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

I stupidly forgot to scrape off the top edge; I only did the sides this morning. D'oh! It feels softer, but it's not coming off yet, so some more soaking overnight is needed.

Patience, grasshopper. Patience.
                              Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Working...
                              X