Royksopp - Vision One Sound ??

LePera

• Members

Song is "Vision One" from their new "Junior"Album.What Synth or ? did they use and How did they get that sound?Settings?I've never heard that sound done that good..The sound I'm asking about is obvious...I don't know what to call it.JD

• Members

what do you mean by "done that good"? its just the classic distorted 303 sound, but its royksopp so it's drenched in effects.

edit: pretty much any synth can do this. most have it as a preset. royksopp are just very good with putting their mixes together...

• Members

its just the classic distorted 303 sound, but its royksopp so it's drenched in effects.

It does sound a bit different though, kinda like the original line was recorded at double speed and an octave higher, then played back at half speed.

You can try recreating it with the TB-303 emulation in Propellerheads ReBirth software - it's a free download. Just crank up the distortion - it will get close to that sound.

• Members

what do you mean by "done that good"? its just the classic distorted 303 sound, but its royksopp so it's drenched in effects.

edit: pretty much any synth can do this. most have it as a preset. royksopp are just very good with putting their mixes together...

Not a preset on any of my analog synths.Don't have a 303.He's turning knobs to control the twisting /creeking corkscrew sound possibly 2 knobs at once.Are you saying that sound is drenched in effects?What effects?I just hear the synth on the specfic sound.

I've been trying on a Moog Phatty and a MG-1.Should I try on an Evolver or Juno 106?I Don't think its that easy or common at least without a 303.JD

• Members

Not a preset on any of my analog synths.Don't have a 303.He's turning knobs to control the twisting /creeking corkscrew sound possibly 2 knobs at once.Are you saying that sound is drenched in effects?What effects?I just hear the synth on the specfic sound.

I've been trying on a Moog Phatty and a MG-1.Should I try on an Evolver or Juno 106?I Don't think its that easy or common at least without a 303.JD

sawtooth osc+filter w/resonance cranked up+distortion.

most synths can handle it pretty easily, Its usually a preset because it gets used so much in dance music..

effects: heavy eq+compression, the aforementioned distortion, and either light phasing or they are just modulating the slope of the sawtooth osc. (same thing really..)

nothing ever sounds like its dry on royksopp records..

• Members

I'm picky about sounds, so I would tend to say no, it's not that easy with "just any analog". None of the ones you mentioned will have anything close to the nasal-sounding diode filter of a 303.

If you don't want software (ReBirth), an FR Revolution or Spectral Audio Neptune II would be a good choice for that type of sound.

• Members

I'm picky about sounds, so I would tend to say no, it's not that easy with "just any analog". None of the ones you mentioned will have anything close to the nasal-sounding diode filter of a 303.

If you don't want software (ReBirth), an
or
would be a good choice for that type of sound.

Thanks,Which one do you recommend ?FR has a sequencer.SA has more knobs.Which has the best analog sound ?JD

• Members

sawtooth osc+filter w/resonance cranked up+distortion.

effects: heavy eq+compression, the aforementioned distortion, and either light phasing or they are just modulating the slope of the sawtooth osc. (same thing really..)

could be 303. could be VA+nice outboard phaser.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I know I'm a bit late but I only picked this album up recently. Whatever it is, it's one of the coolest synth-bass sounds I think I've ever heard.

I think it's a saw-tooth with something that's keeping the oscillation of the "saw" constant - regardless of its pitch... plus phaser. I tried emulating that constant oscillation using a "bit crusher" plug-in (I read this suggestion on a different forum) and I just wound up with something that sounded like crap. :(

I think I'm going to devote my week to figuring this out. :cool:

Archived