... To Nord Lead or not to Nord Lead 3

• Members

...that is the question!

Ok, Ive sold most of my rack gear, to fund the Lead 2X, which I was pretty dead set on ....... until I played Mr Lead 3 this weekend. Jumping Jellyfish!!! Do I like this synth! whoever had it must have really gone to town making their own sounds, coz it sounds truely f*cking beautiful. (Admittably, it had a dab of external reverb). Its used but in perfect condition. I know I should trust my ears, but most reviews seem to leave a back taste in my mind after reading them. The presets were apparently lame, but is this maybe why some people dont rate it? It sounded smooth as silk to me, and I definatley git the 2X type vibe from it too.

I dont quite have enough to swipe it right now, (waiting for the Wavestation A/D to sell). Can anyone persuade me not to part with my cash as im really quite excited by this synthesizer, ...but cant help feel a little worried about the negativity it has recieved.

I would be greatful if any Lead 3 owners would give an honest opinion.

Yah or Nah kind Sirs?

• Members

There are a lot of people that like the 2x better, but if I had the choice I would go 3. It has a display, which is a BIG plus to me, and of course those awesome led-rings. There are some people here who like the 3 better than the 2x. It seems with a little tweaking the 3 can sound as fat as the 2x, but it can sound very digital and shiny too if you want it to.

Hell, Tomas Bodin programmed some presets :D

• Members

Apparently that's the demo that sold Flat Earth...

...doesn't do much for me...

Now the Supernova on the other hand... just has a smoother sound I think... like buttahh... this is the typical lead sound from it... very alive and organic...

_J_AKhJ7T9Y

and then there's this:

8_G-CxIwlIU

• Members

Apparently that's the demo that sold Flat Earth...

Indeed, the 2X can be smooth and gentle, but the 3 takes this further and then some. I was quite shocked how JX like it was. (cant believe I sold my MKS-70 the other night :cry:)

I seem to love the Nord sound.

• Members

Indeed, the 2X can be smooth and gentle, but the 3 takes this further and then some. I was quite shocked how JX like it was. (cant believe I sold my MKS-70 the other night
:cry:
)

I seem to love the Nord sound.

FE, if you do not like the SH-201 (and do not forget, you sold that one too) you want the NL2!!

• Members

So you're selling your analogs to buy VAs?

:lol: Tonight Don Solaris will bomb my house for this treason!

I still have some analogues, Sigma and the mighty Trident (This ones with me forever, MKS-70 sounds thin compared to this behemoth)

• Members

I'm not gassy for either one.

If I were to get a VA in that price range, it would probably be a Supernova II.

+1 for the SuperNova II. I missed the chance of getting one cheap a while back and I'm still kicking myself for not getting it. I recently picked up the RADIAS to see if it would be better. The jury is still out on that one. the supernova II is just a fantastic machine.

And for the record, the Nord's have always been "meh" to me. I was offered a Nord Lead 2 for my Fender Rhodes suitcase and I would have gotten robbed on that deal.

-Mc

• Members

I love the Lead 3. I have owned both it and the 2X and the 3 always won out in the end. It just does so much more, with a neat little arpeggiator, aftertouch, chord memory, more oscillators and the really cool "Stereo Unison" effect. Using the synths great FM section with the unison effect makes some AWESOME digital pads.

I think its a bit unfair to label it a VA as its never really been advertised as one. It's just a great digital synth.

• Members

I am with EricM on this one. Owned both the 2x and now the 3, and the NL3 is by far my favorite VA. It is beyond flexible. It can sound creamy sweat to screeching raw!!!!!! Best UI ever!!!

For me not having aftertouch on the NL2x was a bummer because I play with both hands and realized then how much I use AT!!

I now also have a Nord Wave, but, I'll hold on to the NL3 because it has a character of its own not replicated in any other synth in the Lead line or otherwise.

aL

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDkJTcAAbmg&feature=related

:wave:

Perhaps this same guys other Youtube video from a few months later will relieve some peoples desires :)

fpgoL2qUWcg

Nothing like a little pondering about what owning a discontinued synth, which no doubt uses surface mount components, really means. Of course, with their wonderful track record of supporting older products, I'm sure you can count on Clavia's spare parts department for many years to come. Hmm, what was the reason they claimed for why they were discontinuing the NL3 again? Didn't they claim it was due to their inability to source parts? ;)

• Members

Well that guy must be gutted. But in all honesty, there must be over 10,000 lead 3's out there. This is the only time ive ever heard of one failing. Clavia products are usually known for their robustness and reliability.

..but I suppose every 'used' purchase has a certain risk element involved.

hmmm........

• Members

Nothing like a little pondering about what owning a discontinued synth, which no doubt uses surface mount components, really means. Of course, with their wonderful track record of supporting older products, I'm sure you can count on Clavia's spare parts department for many years to come. Hmm, what was the reason they claimed for why they were discontinuing the NL3 again? Didn't they claim it was due to their inability to source parts?
;)

P321 speaks the truth, buyers beware. :cry:

Flat loves his old synth ladies, it will not stop him :lol:

• Members

I recal Clavia had loads of user demo's on their old web site (I probably have them all on another device). I blind tested the available sounds/other synths and the NL3 was always the topper sonically for my ears. There is the chance it being top of the line back then that it had the best users and tweakers spending time on it.

The funny thing is now, I can not find any really impressive examples on Youtube, but for the 2X there are quite a few. Guess its newer and more people are getting great sounds out of it now?

It's a tough choice... Good luck Flat :thu:

:wave:

• Members

So Mr Earth decides over weekend to 'somehow' conjour up funds to make said Nord Lead 3 his own,

Email sent >>. Yes, I will take it.

Email recieved

Note to self: :whisper: Dont post threads with possible gas inducing properties that may well induce said properties on other parties :facepalm:

Hmmmmm,

Purity, Khazal, Mook, Jez etc, none of you happen to have a new 'red' synth appear in you setup latley? :D

..another will no doubt appear soon.

Archived