Rackmount Synth

• Members

It depends on the model. Some rackmounts are the same as the keyboard version, just missing the keyboard. Others have reduced functions, usually leaving off things like a sequencer. Rack units have the advantage of taking up less space than a full size keyboard, and are generally cheaper than the keyboard version.

• Members

In general -

An advantage of module vs keyboard for me is - I don't play keyboards, so rack-mounted modules I can control via midi from my guitar and/or a foot controller is a better option.

Also - a keyboard player may prefer the feel of one keyboard over another for use as a midi controller - playing different synths with one controller.

Of course, more specific differences between keyboards and modules will vary with each model.

• Members

You can use them with guitars if your guitar is equipped with a MIDI pickup of some sort. A "bare" guitar won't be of any use.

In addition to the midi pickup, you'll also need an interface like a Roland GR series or other. Although I just heard about a $99 guitar to midi device made by Sonnus that lets you control a synth from any guitar, without a midi pickup. The only thing is that it is monophonic - one note at a time, no chords.

Archived