Anyone use drawing tablets instead of a mouse?

stikygum

• Members

I haven't used my Wacom with my DAW, but I use it every day for work.

Using a pen to navigate around a UI takes some getting used to, so unless you have some compelling reason to use a pen, you're better off using a well-integrated control surface/knob box with your DAW.

You might think drawing automation curves with a pen would work well, and you'd be right, but a fader on a control surface works just as well.

The primary advantage to a pen is for drawing, and you don't really need to draw in a DAW.

• Members

Tentative +1 for Idiotboy

Just picked up a used Wacom Intuos2 on a lark (it was very cheap). My very first impressions are:

1. I like moving faders with the pen better than with a mouse and it is easier on my wrist;

2. If you use your keyboard much to type commands (I do) or jump to and from an instrument to your DAW then a mouse still may be faster/more intuitive;

3. I'm a usb device whore but given the cost of replacing the pen (and I lose pens nobody), I don't think I'd get one new for the moment.

• Members

I also have a Wacom tablet. I never got around to using in my DAW. I tried it in some softsynths first and found that it gave me no advantage over a mouse. The only time I really got into a smooth workflow in an audio app was using it to compose in Sibelius. Even that wasn't quite as efficient as a keyboard controller.

I'd say that unless an app was designed specifically to make use of a tablet (i.e. the tablet increases productivity and workflow), you're going to be better off with a control surface, like ib suggests..

Archived