Know of any add-on touchscreens?

stikygum

• Members

Basically, in my search for making my DAW (Logic) easier for me so I don't have to play around with a mouse, I was thinking about getting a touch screen. Problem is I can't find a 23" add on panel that I can put over my monitor. Wondering if anyone knows of a 23"er somewhere. Anyone using a touchscreen? I'm wondering if your arm gets tired after about an hour from lifting it up all the time. Seems like it could be a work out if you didn't have it flat or angled on your desk.

• Members

Basically, in my search for making my DAW (Logic) easier for me so I don't have to play around with a mouse, I was thinking about getting a touch screen.

A touchscreen won't actually make things easier.

If you don't want to play around with a mouse, learn the key commands and get an overlay.

Touch-screen interfaces have their control elements adjusted for touch use. Your fingertip has a bigger surface than a mouse cursor and less precision; on-screen buttons on phones are therefore bigger. Neither your plugins or your sequencer has these kinds of adjustments.

I'm wondering if your arm gets tired after about an hour from lifting it up all the time.

They even have a name for this; it's Gorilla Arm Syndrome.

Seems like it could be a work out if you didn't have it flat or angled on your desk.

Exactly.

See if perhaps http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/ can do anything for you.

• Members

Basically, in my search for making my DAW (Logic) easier for me so I don't have to play around with a mouse, I was thinking about getting a touch screen. Problem is I can't find a 23" add on panel that I can put over my monitor. Wondering if anyone knows of a 23"er somewhere. Anyone using a touchscreen? I'm wondering if your arm gets tired after about an hour from lifting it up all the time. Seems like it could be a work out if you didn't have it flat or angled on your desk.

www.jazzmutant.com

• Members

If you don't want to play around with a mouse, learn the key commands and get an

+ over 9000!

but I would recommend not even bothering with the overlay, you will learn the commands quicker if you don't have the crutch, just download a cheat sheet to use, if you make a point of not using the mouse you will have most of them memorized in a day of use. also, the overlays tend to use odd icons for things, so its just another thing to memorize...

• Members

sure

" These wireless M3 touch pads are kool and fun. Adding X-Y was clever "

spock%2001.jpg

• Members

There are companies who make the add-on touchscreens. I've never used any of these products, so I can't speak from personal experience. Keytec has been around a long time (in computer years), and they make USB add-ons. They don't make a 23", but they will do custom. Not sure what the mark-up would be.

If you want to bypass that and just get a touchscreen LCD monitor, elo Touchsystems is a major manufacturer. As mentioned above, 3M also makes touch monitors. Don't know whether you're in the US or not, but Newegg sells 3M's 17" capacitive touchscreen.

• Members

Maybe a desk like this would alleviate pain, so then you can just slide your arm on the table and rest it while you pluck away at the screen.

http://www.smartdeskstraining.com/level-ov.php

Seems like they only make these desks for schools

For my use, I mainly want the touchscreen for stuff like entering steps of a sequence like in Ultrabeat's matrix or a Piano Roll editor. Basically doing what a Electribe would be doing, but without the Electribe (since it won't work to input steps of a sequence in Logic). So unfortunately I don't think key commands will work. Wish there was a hardware unit to do this, but it doesn't look like there is.

• Members

A touchscreen won't actually make things easier.

If you don't want to play around with a mouse, learn the key commands and get an

Touch-screen interfaces have their control elements adjusted for touch use. Your fingertip has a bigger surface than a mouse cursor and less precision; on-screen buttons on phones are therefore bigger. Neither your plugins or your sequencer has these kinds of adjustments.

They even have a name for this; it's

Exactly.

See if perhaps
can do anything for you.

Actually for Logic you can design control surfaces for the touchscreen in the environment. It's not actually that bad of an investment. However, I would not use one as my display also, more as a customizable dedicated controller. Works out to so much cheaper than the Lemur.

Personally though, I don't mind using the mouse very much, supplemented by oft used key commands.

-D

• Members

essential tools for me:

logic.jpg

Mapping Logic to your control surface (like the novation in the photo) is probably the best solution. The biggest problem with the mouse, for me, is that you can only change one control at a time; I don't think your average touchscreen will do any better.

A question for xpander: I have an x-station and haven't managed to map it to the mixer (not impossible, just a major nuisance that I haven't tackled). Does automap make things easier?

Archived