Anyone try out the new Novation ReMOTE SL Mk2 kebed?

KJI

• Members

Hi guys,

Search didn't reveal anything about the new SL Mk2 keyboards.

Has anyone tried the new Fatar keybed on these things?

Can anyone compare them to the original SL keybeds?

I need a quality keybed more than Automap controls, and if the keybeds are comparable then I might as well try to get a deal on the original SLs.

(Sweetwater has a sale on the original SLs, by the way. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ReMOTEsl61/

Bonus question: can anyone compare the SL keybeds to the MPK49 keybeds?

I tried out the MPK49 keybed, and it felt nice and firm, although I would want to hook it up to a real instrument before I have a definite opinion.

A used MPK49 has been sitting on the shelves of my favorite music shop for a few months now, and I'm THIS close to buying it.

Unfortunately, I can't find any of the Novations around to do the comparisons my self...

Thanks in advance :wave:

• Members

I liked everything about the MPK besides having only 8 sliders and small black keys on the keybed. It just felt very strange to play despite having a nice response.

The original SL has some great action. I can't comment on if they have changed it, however.

• Members

I liked everything about the MPK besides having only 8 sliders and small black keys on the keybed. It just felt very strange to play despite having a nice response.

That's a good point, I also remember the keys being small. I dunno, I want to be able to play expressive pads and strings mostly, a bit of organ, so perhaps I won't mind the smaller keys as long as the expressiveness is there.

Do the original SLs have full-size keys? I guess the Mk2s, being Fatar and all, would be close to full size...

I've gotta bring along my SonicCell next time and test things out... anyways, thanks moogman :)

Anyone here try out the Mk2 keybed first-hand? :wave:

• Members

I haven't tried the SL Mk2 yet (they're only just becoming available and are obscenely priced considering they've had one of the LCD displays amputated). But I almost guarantee you the decision to switch to Fatar was based on cost rather than keyboard quality. Until Novation pull their head out of their ass, and come back to reality on the MKII pricing (especially in Europe!), I wouldn't recommend the SL61 MKII. If you can get the original SL 61 for $400 new I'd say go for it (They're still going for $650 in Europe.. )

You could also take a look at the MAudio AXIOM Pro (not the regular one). Supposedly one of its "enhancements" over the regular version is a faster key scanner. Worth the money over the regular Axiom? Of course not, but if you want better they tend to rape you, so... You might also be interested to know AKAI just announced a 61 key MPK61..

Having said all that, if key feel and expressiveness are the most important thing to you then you should probably look at the 88 key fully weighted keyboards rather than this stuff. Most semi weighted actions aren't that great when it comes to velocity sensitivity/accuracy.

Archived