Collapse
No announcement yet.

One keyboard/synth to cover Pink Floyd?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One keyboard/synth to cover Pink Floyd?

What would be your recommendation for a keyboard (or midi controller / software combination) to cover Richard Wright's parts in Pink Floyd? I'm looking for a jack of all trades to cover such things as:

Farfisa Compact organ
    Hammond organs
    Hammond B3/C3
    Minimoog type sounds
    Rhodes electric piano
    Etc.
    Here's a list of keyboards he's used over the years - I wouldn't need to cover all of these

Any recommendations?
    He used Kurzweil K2000's in the later part of his career. I think he switched to 2600's at the end. That line seems to have been discontinued. Is the PC3X the successor to the 2600 line?

I'm more of a guitar player but am looking to expand my coverage, particularly of my favorite band.

What do you all think?

-K
    "Bleating and babbling I fell on his neck with a scream.....!"

Yeah, Kurzweil is probably the way to go. If you don't need full 88-key keyboard, you might lift yourself a PC361!

PC series are not direct descendants of K series, simply because K series have sampler, and PC series do not. We're still waiting for K3000
    If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

I think the PC3x is a great keyboard, but I don't think you can cover Floyd with just one board. The PC3x will get you very close though... Just check Sonikmatter, especially the download section. There are a few great Floyd sounds available there already, and the presets also offer some instantly useable Floyd-esque sounds.

If it were me, I would go PC3x and add a couple of modules, since the PC3x is also a great midi-controller.

Comment

Yeah, Kurzweil is probably the way to go. If you don't need full 88-key keyboard, you might lift yourself a PC361!

PC series are not direct descendants of K series, simply because K series have sampler, and PC series do not. We're still waiting for K3000

I was wondering about that. Are they working on it? It seems odd to just stop a product line without introducing the replacement. The K2600 has such old tech like 25-pin external SCSI. I'm not sure where you'd get a cable let alone a drive for that these days.

-K

Comment

It will be here. It's just a matter of time. Remember, Kurzweil went through bankrupcy and they're still getting back on their feet. Next is PC3LE coming, that will probably sell a lot because of price/performance/sound quality ratio, and it will hopefully get them enough funds to R&D the real succesor to K2600.

Just keep fingers crossed
          If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

It will be here. It's just a matter of time. Remember, Kurzweil went through bankrupcy and they're still getting back on their feet. Next is PC3LE coming, that will probably sell a lot because of price/performance/sound quality ratio, and it will hopefully get them enough funds to R&D the real succesor to K2600.

Just keep fingers crossed

Ah, I didn't know they went through bankruptcy. Perhaps I should start with a used 2600 and see what that can get me.

-K

Comment

Used K2000's show up on eBay all the time, along with parts, accessories, sound libraries etc. And especially since you're not a fulltime keyboard player and prolly don't want to fork out the bux for a new PC3x, a used K2000 will get you where you want for relatively cheap. Buyer beware - you want one that didn't ride out Katrina in somebody's basement.
              A wise man knows the difference between opera and barbeque...

Comment

One Keyboard To Rule Them All
                One Keyboard To Cover Them
                One Keyboard To Upstage Them All
                And In The Floydness Bind Them.
                Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

One Keyboard To Rule Them All
                  One Keyboard To Cover Them
                  One Keyboard To Upstage Them All
                  And In The Floydness Bind Them.

Muhahaha!

-K

Comment

Used K2000's show up on eBay all the time, along with parts, accessories, sound libraries etc. And especially since you're not a fulltime keyboard player and prolly don't want to fork out the bux for a new PC3x, a used K2000 will get you where you want for relatively cheap. Buyer beware - you want one that didn't ride out Katrina in somebody's basement.

Are hurricane flooded keyboards a common sight on eBay?

-K

Comment

PC series are not direct descendants of K series, simply because K series have sampler, and PC series do not.

Disagree. As far as I can tell, the PC3 uses the same VAST engine as the K series synths, but with more polyphony and more processing power (e.g. Cascade mode, better fx, etc).

By your logic, K series synths that do not have the sampling option are not K series synths.

dB
                      www.davidbryce.net

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty...and the pig likes it.

Comment

PC series don't even have sampling as an option.

Comment

Part of this m50 little demo seems to do Floyd very well (around 1 minute on)

Comment

PC series don't even have sampling as an option.

Yes, I understand that....but my point was that sampling, which you used as the benchmark of why the PC3 is not a direct descendant of the K series, is not an integral part of the VAST/K series engine - it's an option.

Some people (me, for example) don't like to sample, and have never had a K series synth with the sampling option.

dB
                            www.davidbryce.net

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty...and the pig likes it.

Comment

Yes, I understand that....but my point was that sampling, which you used as the benchmark of why the PC3 is not a direct descendant of the K series, is not an integral part of the VAST/K series engine - it's an option.

Some people (me, for example) don't like to sample, and have never had a K series synth with the sampling option.

dB

But can you even load samples into that thing? I love my K2600XS, but would not have bought it were it not for the ability to at least load sample data into it.

The PC series were always Kurzweil's 'affordable' line of synths / digital pianos. The PC3 sports some awesome specs, and it's a very nice and powerful synth, but that's just because it's 2009 and because there isn't a 'K' alternative at this point in time. Of course Kurzweil put the V.A.S.T and VA-1 stuff in there - it's not like it was going to cost them a fortune to do so. If there were a K3000 launched at the same time I'm sure we could all agree that it would of course be in a different league from the PC3 in more ways than just allowing you to sample stuff.

The old PC88 wasn't even a synth, IIRC - it was a digital piano. Didn't even have a filter cut off control. In other words, not comparable to the K2000 at the time. And as far as I remember, in it's review of the PC2, Keyboard Magazine described it as a "MIDI controller with built in sounds."

The PC3 is a nice instrument, but it's not what a K series instrument would have been had one been out today. It's a PC synth on a truckload of steroids and a bunch of "K" DNA stuffed into it. That it actually surpasses the K2600 in many respects is just due to the time that has passed since 1999. It's still a fairly cheap synth - for a Kurzweil, that is.
                              Selected Gearlist: Yamaha PSR-760, 3 meter long Hosa stereo cable (jack to phono).

Comment

Working...
                              X