Buying an Andromeda

kilon

• Members

I have ordered Andromeda from Digital Village for 2040 euros , nothing is certain yet as Alesis informed the shop and the shop me that they had 2 in stock .

I would like to hear your thought on the matters and hear of course opinions of Andromeda users.

For me it has been a dream synth for far too long. So I pray that everything will go as planned.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dream on - the honeymoon won't last long.

Not to rain on your parade, the filter are great but it's a beast to get around on, plus they never fully up-dated the O/S.
:rolleyes:

the bug complains have prevented me from buying it in the past.

But I failed to find a synth better than andromeda and at this killer price , even with bugs is a killer bargain. Very hard to resist.

• Members

Congrats on your purchase, I love mine.:love:

Go to Search at the top of this page, type in Alesis Andromeda A6 and you will get a lot of threads with opinions about the Andromeda.

Here's one of many, should provide you with plenty of reading material.:)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1053319&highlight=alesis+andromeda+a6

• Members

Congrats on your purchase, I love mine.
:love:

Go to Search at the top of this page, type in Alesis Andromeda A6 and you will get a lot of threads with opinions about the Andromeda.

Here's one of many, should provide you with plenty of reading material.
:)
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1053319&highlight=alesis+andromeda+a6

Thanks ... oh yes I have done LOADS of search in the forum , the linked thread was the first that caught my attention.

I would NOT have done a purchase without some search first ;)

But it does not hurt to ask for new opinions.

I am interested in ambient music and creation of soundscapes and of course would not mind a touch of analogue sound in my mix.

• Members

I pretty much love everything about my A6. Only had a few minor buggy problems so no deal breaking issues. It sounds incredibly wide to my ears. Warm, fuzzy, and phat too! electro-music.com has a decent forum dedicated to the A6 as well.

J.

• Members

I really love my Andromeda. I've had a few moments of frustration with it, but that is only because of how wide the sonic range the thing is capable of. The machine takes a lot of patience and practice but it will certainly reward you in kind. As you know, you can't really beat its feature set.

It does phat, detuned, stacked sounds very well. The thing is pretty much built for it with all the OSCs and the detune and unison controls.

Never ever had an issue with mine.

• Members

I have never had a problem with mine either. I've owned it for years too.

Absolutely amazing instrument and extremely fun to play.

It has the ability to distort easily.

Enjoy!

It really is a monster.

Come on now....... is there anyone who is truely into synthesis who would not want to at least try one???

I do understand that people dislike it for various reasons.... everyone has different tastes. Just look at the thing once..... tell me you would not want to at least try it.

7.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

:cool:

• Members

I've had mine lock up on me with a couple of the public patch banks and have thus lost data, have also come across a lag in response at times when changing patches. I'll hit the up or down patch buttons and it won't change then all fo a sudden it will move all over based on the buttons I pushed. No big deal to me. The sounds, oh the sound. - J.

• Members

Most of the bugs are minor and can be worked around... some odd combinations of things can make it lock up, so save your edits once in a while, and you'll be fine!

The A6 is a programmer's synth, for sure. If you're the type who goes deep into synth programming you'll love the A6. If you're a "punch up a preset" type of guy/gal, you probably won't be as satisfied, but then that isn't what one buys an A6 for anyway.

That said, even if you spend 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year on the A6 you probably won't exhaust its full potential in 10 years. ;)

All I know is I'll never part with mine, unless a Jupiter-8 or OB-X falls into my lap, and even then I may not part with it. ;)

• Members

Most of the bugs are minor and can be worked around... some odd combinations of things can make it lock up, so save your edits once in a while, and you'll be fine!

The A6 is a programmer's synth, for sure. If you're the type who goes deep into synth programming you'll love the A6. If you're a "punch up a preset" type of guy/gal, you probably won't be as satisfied, but then that isn't what one buys an A6 for anyway.

That said, even if you spend 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year on the A6 you probably won't exhaust its full potential in 10 years.
;)

All I know is I'll never part with mine, unless a Jupiter-8 or OB-X falls into my lap, and even then I may not part with it.
;)

Its great that people report from excellent function to minor bugs .

No I am not a preset punchy guy, there are very few presets in this world that can fit to the sound and style I am aiming for . So I have no choice other than to create my own sounds with or without editing presets.

And no I dont believe there is a tool in the world that can be exhausted in 10 years, 100 years or a billion years. There only tools that fit better our needs and I think that Andromeda will fit mine very nicely.

As far as Jupiter 8 and OB-X is concerned, I really love analog sound , but is not what I am aiming for. I aiming for pseudo acoustic sounds and soundscapes. Generally sounds that move far beyond electronic or acoustic music.

• Members

We have one in the studio and it's been a lot of trouble from the get go. I have been trying to troubleshoot a screen jumping issue forever, and thought I had it nailed down to a bad pot, but I've had it apart over and over again and every time I've put it back together there's something else wrong with it. It always seems like a software glitch but I know these things are typical for having jumpy pots... in fact they even had a software fix at one point to tame them, but if it's truly bad it's bad... Anyway I can't seem to fix the issue 100%, and you'll be playing and all of a sudden the screen and the parameters will jump. It's really irritating and it makes this synth which is supposedly "so desirable" a real drag to play. Unfortunately performing service on it is almost impossible other than software reloads, since they are pretty much all surface-mount PC boards. I really want to like the A6 but the flaws make it really hard...

• Members

The jumpy screen issue would not be fun but you are also indicating that values jump too...? Like all of a suddent a filter Rez will jump? That's news to me. As I mentioned, there was a bad production batch. What is the production year of your A6?

• Members

I'm not sure off hand right now but I'm sure it fell into that batch... :) Yes, you'll be playing and a patch or value will change out of nowhere. It sucks. I thought that the severely jumpy pot was reacting to playing the keyboard and the vibrations were moving it, but I really don't think that's the case.

I'm so reluctant to purchase and replace pots because with our luck, we'll do it and it will mess something else up.

• Members

I hate to ask the obvious but have you spoken with Alesis as to whether this is a known issue that has to be repaired at a service center or not?

or..posting your problem over a http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-90.html

Sometimes one of the ribbons will not be fully connected and the vibrations from

playing will cause erratic behavior.

I hope you can find a solution to this problem.

CR, the bad batch most people are referring to are the ones with tuning problems. That problem has to be fixed at a service center.

• Members

I'm not a expert on this at all, maybe Dave Bryce will have better information regarding the encoders. All I know is from all the research I did before I bought mine and from the electro-music forum is the bad batch is generally referring to the tuning problems. I don't recall the encoder problem being associated with the bad batch. It seems there have been fewer reports of bad encoders than there are the other ones.

Just my opinion tho.:)

Archived