keyboard recommendations (piano)

pianoinfuture

• Members

Hey guys, I just found this board by searching around the net. I've really been getting into piano music lately and have decided to take lessons. I wanted to get some recommendations for a good keyboard

If I'm being naive please feel free to educate me. I'm not in the market for something that has a lot of features and sound effects, etc. I really just want the piano sound without the piano price (>$10,000).

Very VERY new to all of this, but you gotta start some where right?

• Members

If price is your main consideration, consider an old piano in Kijiji or Craig's List. Depending on where you are, you can frequently find pianos for very low prices. You just need to move them and tune them. They nail the piano sound perfectly and play even during blackouts.

• Members

Thanks guys, and in the future I'll look into picking up a piano...but for now I'm in the market for a keyboard that won't break the bank but is still a good value for what I'm looking for.

From what I'm hearing from others I should look for weighted keys...and at least 7 octaves. Yamaha has been touted as a good brand by some I've talked to but haven't priced any models yet.

• Members

If you could go a little costlier, something like the Yamaha P-85 might suit your needs well. I haven't actually played one, but it seems to be a decent buy at its price point. It basically does piano, maybe one or two other sounds, is 88-key (so yes, over 7 octaves), fully weighted, and has built in speakers.

If it's possible, I suggest going into the shops and trying some out. Even if they're a bit more expensive than you'd like, second hand KBs are always turning up, on eBay for example, so you shouldn't necessarily discount those better models.

• Members

The Kurzweil SP-88x is a pretty good value. The piano sounds aren't the best but I think you can get them for 300 or so and I like the feel. I'm sure the keybed isn't the best but its pretty good for the cash. And much better that the cheap m-audio boards that are out there. I guess you'd have to buy a used one though. I don't think they make them anymore.

Archived