Are Emu samplers, good at reading early Akai S-2000 sample libraries?

Peekaboo Fuzzy

• Members

I'm thinking about picking up some CD roms formatted for Akai S-2000 and sound font. I know a computer running Giga or Kontakt will have no trouble reading these I think, but I am looking to buy a cheap used hardware sampler. Are the EMU E-series samplers excellent at reading Akai S-2000 formatted CD roms or sound font without having to keymap samples again?

Thanks.:confused:

• Members

Really, too bad. Somehow, I thought that the E4 series samplers could read the Akai format no problem.

They can read them just fine...

EOS E4XT owner since 1999.

Check out the Akai S5000, I got one for $150 2-3 months back. I had to add ram for $30 and upgrade the OS which was a pain because I needed to use a Pre XP PC to make the floppy disks for the upgrade. Add a internal SCSI drive and you should be doing very good with those disks or anything else you through at it.

The Emu will work as well and if you go that route try to get a ultra version. I'm thinking you could add a backlight to the non backlit versions, but I'd have to see one to know what all is missing. They are excellent synth/samplers but a little more complex in there functions but it's worth it to figure it out.

Kaz

• Members

they read S1000 format well, and S3000 format also (in later OS versions). If the S2000 is actually using one of these formats, should be fine.

My non-ultra E4 can import S1000 banks OK, but sometimes you still have to do some tweaking. 'Course, even Ableton's sampler requires a little tweaking too on those same cds...

• Members

Thanks kazper and chroma! That is what I needed to know. I am leary about buying a used S-2000 as I hear they are a hassle to load and program. The Emu looks easy. Would it be as easy as loading the CD into the CD drive and then just hit a button to import the entire CD of samples to the internal hard drive? I think there are only something like 40-50 different instruments on the CD.

• Members

What Emu?

I've had a ESI-32 and a ESI-4000. I still have a E4 classic and a Emax.

The ESI range is a new and improved E3, where the EOS line was a newer format.

The E4 works great, but don't expect much from the floppy drive as it's slow as hell.

If you have nothing here is my recommendations:

Akai S5000, S6000, Z4/8 with the last OS for the model. (let me know if you have problems on the S5k or S6k and I can make a copy of the disks.

Emu EOS classic or Ultra, and the ultra is worth a extra chunk of change.

Ditto on the last OS, get it on there. Also look for the efex card as it should help the machines.

I don't have much personal experience with Kurtz stuff but I doubt you could go wrong with a K2500 or above with sampling and the efex option.

• Members

The Emu looks easy. Would it be as easy as loading the CD into the CD drive and then just hit a button to import the entire CD of samples to the internal hard drive? I think there are only something like 40-50 different instruments on the CD.

no! well, maybe.... the ones i had are a right pain in the derriere (couple of prosamples volume). Ableton will suck up all the presets in one go. But akai CDs are divided into volumes? And at least I remember I couldn't import more than one volume at a time. The prosamples 128 meg piano was split in 3 patches across 3 volumes, so I had to import each one separately, then build a multi. Maybe some akai cds are organized differently than others. But maybe I had to import each preset individually too. Can't remember for sure. That was with an ultra EMU (i have a non-ultra E4K now).

However, once you get it in the Emu, of course you can do a lot more with it than you can on the old akais, the emus are more like a deep synth that happens to sample than merely a sampler....

OTOH... if you don't already have the sample CDs, I don't know what you are looking for, but the Emus had a pretty decent factory selection as well that you could probably get your hands on easily, with a very wide selection of instruments available.....

• Members

yep, though... i have had a few polarises over the years, and loved them. dunno why i let them go. now I have a chroma and an expander in the closet, which I'm working on repairing, but I've never actually heard it :) one day soon... i am pretty close, once I get some time...

• Members

That's amazing. There is a guy on You Tube, who made two or three demos of his Rhodes Chroma and it sounded out-of-this-world! I think he was playing presets and to my ears it sounded more interesting than a Prophet 5 or any of the other major analog Polysynths, save maybe the Yamaha CS-80, which I haven't heard any comprehensive demos of. Up to two or three months ago, I only vaguely knew about this synth. After hearing the demos on You Tube by this guy aforementioned, I though it was the one of the best if not the best synth I ever heard IMO. There is something about the filters, the chips? I dunno, but it sounds like nothing else and at times so organic like some obscure, magical instrument. Good lucK with it!

Archived