Metallic, robotic sound

veracohr

• Members

Ampex ATR 102

tt_atr102.JPEG

Unveiled nearly 30 years ago at AES in 1976, the Ampex ATR-102 (the 2-channel version of the company's ATR-100 Series recorders) is still considered by many to be the best mastering deck ever built. Unfortunately, it wasn't always that way. Early units were sometimes erratic and unreliable due to some substandard assembly line work and uneven quality of parts from outside suppliers. But after a few years of such growing pains, the ATR-102 emerged as a favorite of studios and broadcasters alike.

Created by Ampex hardware engineers, the ATR Series incorporated advanced aerospace techniques with clever design details. The transport's gentle pinchrollerless design with capstan and reel motors under servo control provided smooth, continuous tension and tape handling, with almost nonexistent speed drift and extremely low flutter due to the large capstan. A unique plug-in head block let users change heads/guides in a matter of minutes, while its layout and convenient thumbwheel made for fast, easy editing. In all, some 3,000 machines (mono, stereo and multitrack) were made until the series was discontinued in 1982, but ATR-100s are still quite alive thanks to parts, service and even new designs (such as the 2-inch 8-track and 1-inch 2-track) from ATR Services Inc.

Courtesy: Mix Magazine

• Members

Not a vocoder, and not FM. I did use FM8 to try to get what I wanted, and while I came up with a good sound it wasn't what I was looking for.

Funny thing, I heard pretty much the sound I want on a song on the drive to work today. It's a simple sound, so perhaps it's my lack of sleep that is the trouble. It's kind of a 'ratchety' sound, and I thought it would be easy enough using a fast square wave LFO controlling amp level, but that didn't sound right, and I tried it on multiple synths.

• Members

Funny thing, I heard pretty much the sound I want on a song on the drive to work today. It's a simple sound, so perhaps it's my lack of sleep that is the trouble. It's kind of a 'ratchety' sound, and I thought it would be easy enough using a fast square wave LFO controlling amp level, but that didn't sound right, and I tried it on multiple synths.

Do you have an example? The thing that comes to mind, that you *might* be describing is the short delay time effect mentioned earlier. (The effect is similar to flanging but different.)

Another that comes to mind is the stutter effect, which can get metallic at times.

• Members

I think I got it more or less like I wanted. I was on the right track with the square wave LFO controlling the level.

I remembered there was a sample in Reason's sound library that was pretty close, so I loaded that up and recorded a little so I could look at the waveform. Turns out all I had to do was adjust the pulse width of the LFO and play around a lot to find the perfect frequency for it.

This song has the sound starting about 17 seconds in, although I think this one is just a non-pitched sample.

kRgj2qtSXlU

• Members

To me, the sound 17 seconds in is a self-oscillating filter (regular oscillators off) being swept with a rather fast LFO.

You could be right. I tried that out, and it gave a sound pretty close to that example. Unfortunately, that method isn't usable for an in-tune melody like I need. I couldn't get the the tones produced by the frequency modulation to track well enough.

I got close enough using a fast LFO to control the amp/level, and this way I can still have a normal low pass filter to control.

Archived