if u have ever used an AKAI S2000............

urphonesux

• Members

Can you please tell me what to do with it?

In 2009 does it work with scsi to usb cables?

Is scsi still faster than midi transfers?

Should both numbers on the back of my scsi hd/cd enclosure be the same?

(as of now the s2000 throws up a "no scsi device found" and the cd drive spins up) i think the top number where the cd drive is is a 5 and the other is a 4)

If i have a peavey dpm 3se and korg padkontrol that is acting as a midi interface to my pc what would be the best way to midi to the s2000?

both the peavey and the s2000 have midi thru but not the padkontrol

Thanks

• Members

Can you please tell me what to do with it?

You should use it to make music! It's a most excellent use of most S2000's, unless you use it for something else, in which case you should use it for that. Mostly.

In 2009 does it work with scsi to usb cables?

Maybe, but if you set your Wayback Machine to 1999, then it won't work at all.

Is scsi still faster than midi transfers?

Hell yes. Everything is faster than MIDI for data transfer. A pair of tin cans and some string would be faster.

Should both numbers on the back of my scsi hd/cd enclosure be the same?

No. Seriously. On any SCSI bus (i.e. chain of SCSI devices chained together), every device must have a unique number. That's so they can tell each other apart.

If i have a peavey dpm 3se and korg padkontrol that is acting as a midi interface to my pc what would be the best way to midi to the s2000?

Although tin cans and string is faster, I suggest using MIDI cables.

both the peavey and the s2000 have midi thru but not the padkontrol

Yes.

Thanks

Welcome! :wave:

• Members

Buy a older mac or add a SCSI card to your PC... not a issue but a wast of money...

SCSI dump to it and use MESA.

It's the same PCB as the S3000xl, minus a few modifications and options. It's a good machine, just hard to use in comparison with the flagship samplers of way back. Don't get discouraged with it, adapt to it's limited interface and make music with it. Hopefully you got a deal on it. Let me know if your looking for a CD and cables for it I may be able to get you a decent deal on some.

• Members

I definitely need the pci scsi card for my pc, i have a cable thats connected to the cd/hd but i think the hd is dead.As soon as i turn it on i get that loud whirrrrr sound. When i tell the s2000 to load from the hd it says no scsi device found and if i disconnect the cable from the hd/cd and tell it to load from the hd it just stays on searching for akai scsi. I know ill need those cd's too because at the moment i have no akai sounds this being my fist hardware sampler and all and i basically got it for free from a guy here on craigslist with the 8 out expansion and 16 mword upgrade.

kazper why is it a waste of money to get the scsi card?

have any of you tried midquest with it?

• Members

What's so scary about scsi?

Not hot swappable, you terminate the first and last devices on the chain.

Each device has a unique ID of 0-7, for the SCSI 1-2 spec which all the samplers that I've seen follow.

2 devices can't read from the same thing at the same time, so stager your device turn on, Hard drive, CD,Sampler with a 5 sec gap in between.

There is a jumper for parity that sets the parity. have problems with a device, change the switch. Some of my scsi devices need it and some do not.

It's all generally backwards compatible, but the bus will run on the slowest device.

The biggest issue at the moment is the old 50 pin devices are becoming fairly rare. You have the option of a SCSI brige to a old IDE device (also becoming a thing of the past), or paying a premium for a drive or device.

In Seattle there is a shop called RE PC, which they have a decent stock of external SCSI CD drives from $5-$15. They havn't had a 50 pin drive in a while, but you can get a SCA device and adapt it down for fairly cheap. You can also check craigslist as a option, look on ebay etc.. Apple made a good external CD drive back in the early 90's.

• Members

Kazper hit the tech on the money. Some years ago, my company developed printer drivers for esoteric hardcapy devices, like film recorders and dye-sublimation printers, and most of those used SCSI (due to the sheer data volume required). It's not a scary interface at all.

edit: The staggered power-on thing was originally meant to keep from overloading a common power supply when everything tried to spin-up at once. This was back when a starting drive ate some significant power to get going.

• Members

Also to help give the hard drive to boot and show a ready and available to the Sampler. It needs a bit of time to turn those platters up and make the OS on them available to Mr Sampler.

I wouldn't own a Ensoniq EPS-ASR without a drive attached it makes booting alone a 5 second operation over a 30. Ditto on the MPC-2000. Emu had it right with there later equipment with the exception of the Rom exchange. It's so much more nicer to just swap those out.

I need to figure out if I can just dump my

options for SCSI drives

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/

There is a good amount of Scsi bridge adapters for under $40 on ebay. I'm ordering 2-3 for my fleet of samplers.

One more thing, don't unplug or plug in devices when powered. You can cause a current surge on the device that is powering the bus and blow a fuse, which is typically in the Sampler. I've never blown the fuse myself and have plugged in things before while hot, but have had friends who have had to have the fuse replaced because of it.

• Members

You guys are like the Amish of the electronic music world.

Thats funny...

I'll say this, Vintage does no always equate to quality. Typically it's because it performs at a level or a function that is not obtainable today. Even though we advance technology in some ways we abandon technology of past. parts used in designs of yester year are obsoleted, manufacturing practices change. Mojo is lost in the computerizing of manufacturing. Just like most things there is a human grove placed in things that were manufactured 50+ years ago. Yellow mustard caps for the Guitar crowd...

Take a Mini Moog, made before CAD, computerized PCB layout, ROHS, and other changes in it's lifetime. Still sought after enough that it was remanufactured almost 30 years later.

Urei LA2A is in the same shape and it has many many clones or copies based on its design that many people may not realize thats its simply stems from the LA2A design.

Just because there is something new, don't make it better. Just because there is a faster way to do something, don't mean that the old should be headed for the dump.

• Members

right now my setup is

PC>Korg PadkOntrol>Peavey DPM 3se

where would be the best place to fit in the akai s2000 if im using the kpk as a midi interface for now?

(remember only the peavey and the akai s2000 have midi thru)

i guess it's better to trigger it from the peavey board so if i midi thru it to the akai will the peavey still register as a midi controller like it does when its just midi in'd to the padkontrol?

It looks like any way that i add it to my setup it WILL have to be switched on before i can do anything everytime so what would be the best way to add it for now.

I dont have a scsi card yet but i look to be getting one within the week.

Also have you had any problems connecting the s2000 to a scsi cd/hd combo?

I have one that came with the s2000 but evidently both the hd and cd is bad, when i tell the s2000 to load from hd it just says no scsi device found, which is strange because if i disconnect the scsi from the from the hd/cd enclosure and THEN tell the s2000 to load from hd it stays on "looking for AKAI SCSI" screen and never changes.

I would think the hd was already full of sounds but maybe the formatting was corrupted or something?

Also i dl'd an akai sample disk from somewhere and burned it but i cant find where to tell the s2000 to load from cd.

The thing is when i tell it to load from hd the cd spins up like its gonna do something but alas, nothing happens. "No SCSI device found"

One thing i do know though is that when the hd/cd enclosure is turned on its loud sometimes. I think when there is a cd in the drive but im afraid its the hd letting me know its dead, what are some troubleshooting things i can look at to know for sure whats wrong?

is there a software interface that works with it other than just mesa?

if you can tell me where i can find some akai cds other than ebay because they seem to be hard to find there, i would be greatly appreciative

• Members

What's so scary about scsi?

Not hot swappable, you terminate the first and last devices on the chain.

Each device has a unique ID of 0-7, for the SCSI 1-2 spec which all the samplers that I've seen follow.

2 devices can't read from the same thing at the same time, so stager your device turn on, Hard drive, CD,Sampler with a 5 sec gap in between.

There is a jumper for parity that sets the parity. have problems with a device, change the switch. Some of my scsi devices need it and some do not.

could you explain more on this especially the parity?

• Members

Did you ever see this stuff working?

I'm guessing that the Akai is set to SCSI ID #6.

Set the Hard drive to ID0 and the CD rom to ID1, and I would verify that they are actually connected inside the case or I would use standard jumpers and not use the back selectors.

With everything powered off, connect up the CD rom drive. With the ID set to 1, you should see the drive. If not power down, remove or add the parity jumper and try again. This is if you never saw it working. Even without a CD you should see the drive, just that it's not ready or has no disk. Once you see the drive and or the data, do the same thing with the Hard Drive. then connect them together.

If you have no luck verify the cables, worst case you could have a bummed cable, two bad devices, a blow fuse on the scsi bus.

By the way water the shrubs, and if you got a good girl she keeps the bush well trimmed.

Send me a PM and we can talk about some CD's I have that I'm no longer using.

Archived