Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it seem like in-box DAW effects are never as good as plugin effects?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are Cubase 5's effects? I've heard good things about the new convolution reverb, but I haven't heard much about anything else.

Comment

ReaComp on everything, it's great. ReaPitch is no slouch when some pitch correction is needed. ReaDelay is very configurable, can sound good. ReaEQ... I see no need for any other EQ, this one has n bands... while stuff like Waves need several versions of the same plugin but with different number of bands. In ReaFX I just click "Add Band" and that's it. "Delete Band" and it's gone, never taking up any CPU.

Ah, cool. ReaEQ is actually pretty cool, you're right, but EQ isn't exactly complicated (the way ReaEQ does it is nice, though). Since each track's pitch can be adjusted in the track's properties, I haven't found a need for ReaPitch, yet. Googling, it looks like the big advantage of ReaPitch is track automation. That'll be cool. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I'll need to try ReaComp whenever I feel with experimenting with a multiband. (So far I've been using single-band comp anywhere I've used one... I like to keep it simple then. )
      What I make with way too many blinky light modular items, plugins, and an Alesis Andromeda.
      Forbidden Star: home studio / melodic ambient / New Age / the deep zone
      Boney Fiend: the band, man / punk / garage / beer

Comment

ReaPitch - Autotune, basically.

Multiband is ReaXComp. ReaComp is your ordinary channel compressor.
        If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

ReaPitch - Autotune, basically.
          Multiband is ReaXComp. ReaComp is your ordinary channel compressor.

My bad. I don't know why I was confusing the two.

You know, I should start looking more at these things. I've been using Waves C1 as a default for my ordinary compressor, even though Waves kind of sucks these days.
          What I make with way too many blinky light modular items, plugins, and an Alesis Andromeda.

Comment

Ah, Waves - overpriced and overhyped.
            If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

Five years ago or so, IMHO, no. But these days, IMHO, yep.

Comment

maybe it's your DAW- one of the reasons I use the unduly derided FL studio is because many of it's effect plug-ins are second to none- I have been using their compression a lot lately because it often sounds better than my beloved voxengo plugs

Comment

overstated.
                  the SSL collection is nice.
                  otherwise I use mainly UAD plus the Oxford (Sonnox) plug ins. They just 'speak' to me.
                  That's the whole point, I guess.
                  Axe-Fx Ultra

Comment

maybe it's your DAW- one of the reasons I use the unduly derided FL studio is because many of it's effect plug-ins are second to none- I have been using their compression a lot lately because it often sounds better than my beloved voxengo plugs

Eh. FL-Studio's FX are... okay. At least they have a better reverb than Reaper, fairly usable. But seriously, the distortion sucks compared to Ohm Force's Ohmicide, to bring the OP up. The compressor might be pretty good, since I use FL-Studio as a scratch or rhythm loop constructor I don't tend to compress there.

One thing I noticed about Reaper -- the reverb is horrid IMHO, probably the reason why I rated Reaper's FX so low. Incidently, re-looking at Reaper's delay, I think I'll continue to use Kjaerhus's Classic Delay more (or, for the complicated trippy delay stuff, Camel Audio's CamelSpace). Both FL-Studio and Reaper definitely have very usable delays, but the other two seemed better for my purposes.

Comment

Working...
                    X