Okay, so I have a new favourite synth.

TropicThink

• Members

Seriously. I don't even want to talk about it online, because the fewer that know, the better. I don't want to see the price of these things increase. Still, I can't help myself. I've had the Korg Z1 for a week now, and honestly: Of all the synths I've owned, it's my favourite. Hands down. Of all time. I just can't keep my hands of this thing. Like, REALLY.

It's so playable and musical that it's not even funny, and it inspires me like no other synth ever has. I'm even having more fun with my OTHER synths because of this. This one just really hit the spot, so to speak. It's just what I needed at this point in time, and it's so good there are probably spirits of some kind living inside it. It's just got it - that big 'IT' that stuff needs to have to be really great.

I LOVE Korg for making this thing. I want to put a big poster of the people who made this synth on my wall. They haven't received nearly enough credit for this little beauty.

Any other Z1 lovers here?

• Members

Sure! The Z1 is regarded as one of the greatest VAs of all time with now legendary status. You couldnt put together a top 5 list without it.

The thing that makes the Z1 standout from the pack is the 13 different physical modeling osc types. The first one gives you the standard saw, pulse, triangle and sine waves alone.

Of course you would have to also note the XY pad, 4 lfos and assignable envelopes and a distortion effect that will knock paintings off the walls.

• Members

Sure, it was awesome, but I sold mine. I just have to rotate gear out every once in a while, I don't know why.

There is a sound I had programmed on the Z1 that I can hear clearly in my mind but I haven't been able to recreate it on any synth since.

I've said it before on here: The Z1 was the hardware version of Absynth. You could get similar sounds out of it.

• Members

The Z1 rules. I'm a recent convert thanks to "the Bay".

I was amazed how the XY pad was so well thought-out so long ago. The cool effect of doing XY horn falloffs and mutes on the trumpet patch that actually sound good... amazing.

On the synth end... incredible atmospheres as well as nasty distorted and filtered sounds. It complements my AN1x very well.

It is very deep and has some insane arp possibilities.

• Members

Seriously. I don't even want to talk about it online, because the fewer that know, the better. I don't want to see the price of these things increase. Still, I can't help myself. I've had the Korg Z1 for a week now, and honestly: Of all the synths I've owned, it's my favourite. Hands down. Of all time. I just can't keep my hands of this thing. Like, REALLY.

It's so playable and musical that it's not even funny, and it inspires me like no other synth ever has. I'm even having more fun with my OTHER synths because of this. This one just really hit the spot, so to speak. It's just what I needed at this point in time, and it's so good there are probably spirits of some kind living inside it. It's just got it - that big 'IT' that stuff needs to have to be really great.

I LOVE Korg for making this thing. I want to put a big poster of the people who made this synth on my wall. They haven't received nearly enough credit for this little beauty.

Any other Z1 lovers here?

I did try to tell everyone this...about 4 years ago :D

Congrats BTW :cool:

• Members

I've had the Korg Z1 for a week now, and honestly: Of all the synths I've owned, it's my favourite. Hands down.

Congratulations on the purchase! During the years, I stripped down my home studio to just 5 different synths (but I have two of each, to be honest) and Korg Z1 (with 18-voice expansion) is one of them, really wonderful synthesizer. The others are Alesis Andromeda, Waldorf Q with 32-voice expansion, Yamaha TG77 and Roland JD-990 with Vintage Synth expansion ... They all make a great team.

• Members

I'll confess i auditioned it when it was new, along with the then current batch of VAs, and ended up going with the nova, the Z1 sounded rather glassy and not analog enough for what i wanted.

With hinsight, and having owned a trinity with MOSS board for a few years, the Z1 is still a synth i keep thinking of giving a whirl proper :D

• Members

Congratulations on the purchase! During the years, I stripped down my home studio to just 5 different synths (but I have two of each, to be honest) and Korg Z1 (with 18-voice expansion) is one of them, really wonderful synthesizer. The others are Alesis Andromeda, Waldorf Q with 32-voice expansion, Yamaha TG77 and Roland JD-990 with Vintage Synth expansion ... They all make a great team.

Welcome aboard! :wave:

• Members

Will you please shut up, otherwise existing owners will realize that it's worth up to $200. I don't want ebay sellers to realize that the Korg Z1 price is so high, and so that google won't index the keywords in this thread to find what the Z1 price can fetch on ebay, since the Korg Z1 is an old synth that nobody wants anymore. Existing eBay sellers should be sure to list the Korg Z1 for a $1 minimum bid with no reserve price, if they hope to sell the Z1 at all on ebay, so they can attract other eBay buyers who will pay a fair price for their Z1, since it really is only good as a midi controller these days. The Korg Z1 needs to have a low selling price to get any action at all because low price gathers no MOSS, so the seller can get a bidding war up to at least $150. The Korg Z1 isn't nearly as good as the EXB-MOSS, which is why the Korg Z1 should be so much cheaper than the EXB-MOSS on ebay.

I don't get your point. :idk: It's a very valuable synth.

• Members

Welcome aboard!
:wave:

Thanks, EvilDragon, glad to see you here and active as usual :wave:

Another example of how easily can it be lost in translation to certain languages.
:facepalm:

Yes, at first, I was lost a little, too, but then got the point. So, I will change my post according to the request:

"During the years, I stripped down my home studio to just 5 different synths and MicroKorg is one of them. The others are Access Virus, Novation Nova, Clavia NordLead and Roland JP-8080 ... They all make a great team."

• Members

Btw, HP, I see you're BUYING another Z1? How come
:)

Well, nothing special. I just need a synth to have something to play with in my apartment, because my "studio" is outside the town and I am not used to carry things around. So, I am looking for something I am familiar with, like Korg Z1 or Yamaha SY77, for example.

• Members

Will you please shut up, otherwise existing owners will realize that it's worth up to $200. I don't want ebay sellers to realize that the Korg Z1 price is so high, and so that google won't index the keywords in this thread to find what the Z1 price can fetch on ebay, since the Korg Z1 is an old synth that nobody wants anymore. Existing eBay sellers should be sure to list the Korg Z1 for a $1 minimum bid with no reserve price, if they hope to sell the Z1 at all on ebay, so they can attract other eBay buyers who will pay a fair price for their Z1, since it really is only good as a midi controller these days. The Korg Z1 needs to have a low selling price to get any action at all because low price gathers no MOSS, so the seller can get a bidding war up to at least $150. The Korg Z1 isn't nearly as good as the EXB-MOSS, which is why the Korg Z1 should be so much cheaper than the EXB-MOSS on ebay.

I was just being sarcastic with this thread. The Z1 is one hilariously bad "synth." Even if I did own one I wouldn't tell people about it as nobody takes a Z1 owner seriously. Real musicians don't play toys. And I can't get over how bad the Grand Piano patch is.

• Members

I'll confess i auditioned it when it was new, along with the then current batch of VAs, and ended up going with the nova, the Z1 sounded rather glassy and not analog enough for what i wanted.

With hinsight, and having owned a trinity with MOSS board for a few years, the Z1 is still a synth i keep thinking of giving a whirl proper
:D

The Nova series are nice synths, and among my VA favourites (because they, like the Z1, have their own thing - they don't really sound like analog synths but still have something that I really like). I'll probably get one again somewhere down the road. They were never as 'musically satisfying' to me as this one is, though.

• Members

Funny thing, a few years ago I had a Virus KC. I thought getting one of those would be like just totally great. And while it really is a good synth (and now that I hear what OTHERS manage to get out of it, I might just buy one again at some point, if the price is right), I just found myself a little bored with it. I MUCH prefer the Z1 even as a pure VA - it might not sound all that authentic a lot of the time, but it's got tons of character, it's superbly musical, and it begs to be played.

I get even more excited about this synth than I got about my first JD-800, which I bought when I was 18 - and I LOVED that one. Making electronic music has never been better (and I'm happy to say that, as a REALLY struggled creatively and musically for a long, long, long and awful time....)

• Members

And I must say you have a nice selection of gear - we must have very similar tastes. I also have a TG77 (and an SY77), a JD-990 with the Vintage Synth expansion, and a beautiful Q. And I WILL buy an Andromeda in the not too distant future....
:)

Go for it :thu: I am sure it will be a valuable tool in you arsenal. It has much more complicated architecture than most vintage analog synthesizers but, if you enjoy Z1/Q/TG77, this won't be a problem for you ...

The Nova series are nice synths, and among my VA favourites (because they, like the Z1, have their own thing - they don't really sound like analog synths but still have something that I really like). I'll probably get one again somewhere down the road. They were never as 'musically satisfying' to me as this one is, though.

Funny thing, a few years ago I had a Virus KC. I thought getting one of those would be like just totally great. And while it really is a good synth (and now that I hear what OTHERS manage to get out of it, I might just buy one again at some point, if the price is right)

What a coincidence! I owned Novation Nova for some time (later upgraded to Supernova II Rack), as well as Virus B and Virus C, but eventually got tired of them and sold them all. I don't know the exact reason, because they are good synthesizers, but I suspect this is because they don't have anything really "special" and, more or less, I can get this sound from other synthesizers I have, so they became redundant to me ... Too much hardware doesn't necessarily make a more productive environment.

Archived