AX-Synth Problem

DJKeys

• Members

Hey-

I just got a new AX-Synth. It works very well, but I am having a problem I don't understand. I have set up the midi transmission to my keyboard and everything works fine, patch changes, modulation, etc. However, the volume control does not send any messages on CC07 like the owner's guide says it should, so I cannot change the volume from the AX.

I have submitted this question to Roland support as well.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

-dj

• Members

Yes, the AX synth is the problem!

SRSLY though-

Set the volume control to change each tones volume and it should work.

Global volume isnt always changeable.

This config is already in place, all of the patches in the combination are set to respond to CC07-

• Members

I ran a number of tests for this problem

1. Assigned Volume CC07 to D-Beam, I was able to control the volume of my external synth (Korg TR) with the D-Beam.

2. Assigned Expression CC11 to D-Beam, this worked as well to control the volume of the external synth.

3. Changed external synth from receiving CC07 to CC11, no change, volume control had no effect.

The manual clearly states on page 27 that the volume knob transmits CC07 data.

It appears that my volume control does not send any messages at all. My guess is this is something can could be fixed with firmware. Doesn't seem like a hardware problem, although it does look like a huge oversight if all the the units exhibit this behavior. Probably most users have not looked at this, as they are using the internal sounds. I am not yet sure if the internal sounds will be good enough to cut it by themselves for me.

If anyone out there knows someone with one of these units, perhaps they could ask them to perform this simple test. I would like to see if this is just my unit, or whether Roland made and oversight in their Firmware.

Thanks a lot-

• Members

I ran a number of tests for this problem

1. Assigned Volume CC07 to D-Beam, I was able to control the volume of my external synth (Korg TR) with the D-Beam.

2. Assigned Expression CC11 to D-Beam, this worked as well to control the volume of the external synth.

3. Changed external synth from receiving CC07 to CC11, no change, volume control had no effect.

The manual clearly states on page 27 that the volume knob transmits CC07 data.

It appears that my volume control does not send any messages at all. My guess is this is something can could be fixed with firmware. Doesn't seem like a hardware problem, although it does look like a huge oversight if all the the units exhibit this behavior. Probably most users have not looked at this, as they are using the internal sounds. I am not yet sure if the internal sounds will be good enough to cut it by themselves for me.

If anyone out there knows someone with one of these units, perhaps they could ask them to perform this simple test. I would like to see if this is just my unit, or whether Roland made and oversight in their Firmware.

Thanks a lot-

Uh yea... AX synth has internal sounds.

Might be a roland {censored} up in other words. The volume might not send any messages but only control the AX synths volume.

• Members

Uh yea... AX synth has internal sounds.

Might be a roland {censored} up in other words. The volume might not send any messages but only control the AX synths volume.

Well, to their credit, they responded and told me that the owner's manual was wrong and that the volume knob does NOT transmit any midi data. They said they are working on a firmware update that will allow the aftertouch knob to send controller messages.

Every controller I have ever owned sends midi from the volume knob, so I can't quite understand this design decision.

Thanks for the responses!

• Members

they responded and told me that the owner's manual was wrong

Every controller I have ever owned sends midi from the volume knob, so I can't quite understand this design decision.

Welcome to Roland! Most of us here can't understand ANY of their design decisions and they have always had a problem with attention to detail.

But in all seriousness, I hope it works out for you. I think you're the first one on HC to get one. Quick question, is it bigger than you are?

-Mc

• Members

Welcome to Roland! Most of us here can't understand ANY of their design decisions and they have always had a problem with attention to detail.

But in all seriousness, I hope it works out for you. I think you're the first one on HC to get one. Quick question, is it bigger than you are?

-Mc

Yea, I am not at all surprised :cop: The whole AX synth is a bad decision so its amazing that it even sends midi messages instead of just being synth with lame sounds trying to convince you how superior roland sounds :cop:

The OP should have just bought AX-7, at least it doesnt cover you while you play, any player is going to be better looking than an AX-synth anyways :lol:

Hopefully roland will get their heads out of the sand and make a new improved AX-7 with a bit more normal midi controller price and sma

• Members

-Mc

It is fairly large, and I am only 5"8" and skinny, but worn low works fine. The keyboard is high quality with a stiff feel. I have been doing some programming and I think I may be able to use it alone for practice and some gigs.

I have a KX-5 from 1987 (original owner) and had an AX-1 for a while. The AX-1 was really difficult to program.

I liked the AX-7 but it was way too expensive. Prices should come down now.

Thanks for all of your input.

• Members

I have a Lync LN-4 , but the AX-Synth seems pretty cool. I twiddled with one in a store that didn't have it plugged-in. It seemed pretty well built. Considering that it's only slightly more than an old AX-1 or AX-7 on eBay and it has sounds and D-beam, etc. it seems pretty much worth the money.

• Members

I have a Lync LN-4 , but the AX-Synth seems pretty cool. I twiddled with one in a store that didn't have it plugged-in. It seemed pretty well built. Considering that it's only slightly more than an old AX-1 or AX-7 on eBay and it has sounds and D-beam, etc. it seems pretty much worth the money.

AX7 has D beam...

Audio engine is pretty useless unless you are just starting (thats probably the audiance the synth is for).

• Members

Fair enough.

I heard the demo from NAMM and the sounds seemed fine. I don't get the bias against built-in sounds. The Liberation was a keytar with built-in sounds, and it wasn't as good as a Minimoog. The price of an AX-1 or AX-7 seems to be a ripoff for just a controller.

The Lync and KX-5 seem to be better controllers anyway.

• Members

I've looked already, the manual is useless in that respect, when i finally managed to get it to download, but i installed the patch editor, it has 256 waveforms with 4 osc/filter/env combination type things per voice.

The demos don;t sound bad, but haven;t impressed me either, but then it's hard to tell with any kit, what it might sound like if you get it to do the stuff you like.

• Members

I've looked already, the manual is useless in that respect, when i finally managed to get it to download, but i installed the patch editor, it has 256 waveforms with 4 osc/filter/env combination type things per voice.

The demos don;t sound bad, but haven;t impressed me either, but then it's hard to tell with any kit, what it might sound like if you get it to do the stuff you like.

256 is a very slim amount... Fantom G has around 2000 if I remember correctly.

So in other words its a very compromised.

Sonic cell + AX7 = better resoults and visible face

• Members

I have done some programming with this and the waveforms aren't bad. My guess is that there was so much pressure to get it released that none of the Roland techs had a lot of time to spend on any of the sounds except the few lead sounds they used to sell it. The piano, brass, and synth waveforms sound pretty good, but the effects are limited, only one MFX per patch. Hopefully some users will start coming up with some better sounds. When I get a better idea of the power of the thing, I will do an update. One thing, the rotary speaker effect must be assigned to the aftertouch controller, as the mod and dbeam are momentary only which doesn't cut it as you have to keep them activated manually.

Archived