Synthesizing a cello

ChetSinger

• Members

I ran across this post last week, but until today I was too busy to try out the ensemble.

The sound is amazing! I'm a huge fan of the ensembles you've made for Reaktor. On a regular basis I use Cathedral Flutes, Sixteen (stunning), Mister Thick, and Dotcom 44 Modular. I've also played with Silverwood, though I don't have a breath controller.

It is incredibly generous that you continue to make these contributions to the user community. Reaktor is such a great sound synthesis learning tool. I love sifting through your structures to see how you have put things together. Elegant designs. I still struggle Core, but I do want to learn how to program that way.

About the Serenade220 ensemble: Do you know of a way to approximate the tonal difference between nylon, steel, and gut strings? It is gut I'm especially interested in. This may lie outside the parameters of the system you've built. Can that be done with filters, or does the material need to be part of the fundamental string model itself?

I mostly just wanted to thank you for this and the other ensembles. I have free ridden off your knowledge for some time now, and I would be remiss if I did not take the opportunity to acknowledge my gratitude.

Cheers! I'm off to play with Serendade220 some more.

• Members

About the Serenade220 ensemble: Do you know of a way to approximate the tonal difference between nylon, steel, and gut strings? It is gut I'm especially interested in. This may lie outside the parameters of the system you've built. Can that be done with filters, or does the material need to be part of the fundamental string model itself?

Thanks for your kind words.

I've never attempted to model specific strings. The strings in the model can be adjusted in several ways:

Descriptions of models like this often include an additional parameter, called inharmonicity, which I don't know how to create correctly.

Somehow, I think that modifying these parameters could approximate the different kinds of strings. But I don't have enough listening experience to know what to aim for.

• Members

Sounds really good. I love the reverberation you've created.

That reverb is one of the presets contained in the SIR2 convolution software package. It's the "Recording Studio" impulse, with a predelay of 44 ms and with the wet signal 3 dB below the dry signal.

Archived