moog voyager vs. nord synth

c+t in b

• Members

so its one or the other. im leaning towards the moog. i really want the whole voyager with keys but i already have a much better controller. i think itd be worth it to be able to cart around a voyager for gigs in the future rather than the rack and a controller. but the rack is 1000 cheaper!!

decisions decision!!!! help i need insight

• Members

so its one or the other. im leaning towards the moog. i really want the whole voyager with keys but i already have a much better controller. i think itd be worth it to be able to cart around a voyager for gigs in the future rather than the rack and a controller. but the rack is 1000 cheaper!!

decisions decision!!!! help i need insight

Apples and oranges. Incidentally, to which Nord synth are you referring: the Lead 2x, the Modular G2, or the Wave?

Either way, the Nords are all virtual analog modeling synths, generating their sounds through computer algorithms. They have arpeggiators and effects, and, when necessary, serve as competent MIDI controllers. They can be mono- or polyphonic.

Edit: The Nord Lead 2x doesn't appear to have an onboard effects processor.

The Voyager is a voltage-controlled, full-analog beast. It's monophonic only, it needs to be tuned, it has no sequencer or arpeggiator functionality, and it has no onboard effects of any sort. Its primary distinction, besides that legendary Moog filter, is that -- when combined with the VX-351 breakout box -- it boasts more signal routing possibilities than anything short of a full-on modular.

Nothing else will replicate the sound of a Moog. On the other hand, the onboard effects of the Nords mean that you're less likely to need to cart around pedals or an outboard effects processor.

And if portability is a concern, don't be fooled by the Voyager's size. Take another look at those specifications; it weighs 40 pounds. That's more than my 73-key Korg M3, and nearly three times as heavy as a Nord Wave.

• Members

wow! yeah i read the description of the voyager for the first time just now. i had always assumed it was poly. so what competes with the nord?

The Wave is more than just a VA, so it competes in a couple of different markets.

Other VAs to consider are Roland's SH-201, Korg's RADIAS and R3, and Access' Virus TI / TI2.

In addition to its VA synth powers, the Wave also lets you upload and abuse samples. Other synths with similar functionality are Roland's V-Synth and Waldorf's Blofeld.

And if you want both real analog and polyphony, there's always Dave Smith Instruments' Prophet '08. No onboard effects, though. DSI's Poly Evolver has effects, but it's some bizarro analog/digital Frankensynth. Most of the Evolver demos I've heard seem to hail from the "alien bugscapes" school of sound design.

• Members

dude thank you so much. now i have to try out the wave, access, roland' and the DSI's. I wasnt to impressed with the Korgs. I have a micro and im looking to upgrade

add to your list , waldorf q+ , probably the best va out there and very difficult to find.

• Members

An interesting 'joker in the pack', if you really want a Minimoog/ Voyager type sound, is the old Creamware Minimax unit, which was based on a Minimoog, but is 12 note (I think) polyphonic, and has onboard effects. As I remember, tests between the Minimoog/ Voyager/ Creamware unit actually put the Minimax closer to the original Minimoog sound than the Voyager! No longer made, but you can find them on ebay etc sometimes. I have one, very happy with it, cost me 1/4 or less than a Voyager, and ironically, for transportation, it fits perfectly into one of the bags Moog made (make?) for their etherwave theremins. Oli

• Members

whoa whoa wait what? the moog is monophonic? i thought it was poly?!?!?! i thought that the little phatty was mono and the voyager was poly

if its mono, then i m getting a nord wave (i think it was called?)

Objective comment: You should really hang on to your money until you know more about what you're buying.

• Members

This thread = :lol:

Oh, and if you want analog and polyphonic, there is also the Alesis Andromeda.

My personal pick of the VA bunch is the Access Virus TI, other's opinions may differ. I am currently eyeing a Nord Wave as well right now, if only for the sample manipulation possibilities.

• Members

Objective comment: You should really hang on to your money until you know more about what you're buying.

thats foolishness. i dont know why but i had always just assumed it was poly.

thank you guys so much. ill let you know when i narrow it down and buy one of these things. i need like another month before i can afford one. I need to sell a few guitars that i dont use

• Members

so someone has recommended the alesis andromeda to me and im very intrigued. what do you guys think?

im between that and the Nord Wave, Roland V-synth, Dave Smith Instruments Prophet '08 and polyevolver, the access virus ti and the waldorf q+

What are you looking for?

State clearly, and if you don't know learn more until you do. That's a nice chunk of change to drop on anything so you're going to want to be well researched, or at least have a defined opinion or goal on what you'd like to get out of your purchase.

The reason I ask is that, at least in my opinion, the synths you listed are all dramatically different with different focuses, strengths, and weaknesses for every one. What kind of music do you like? What do you make? What do you want to make? How is this new synth going to get you closer to that?

• Members

well i was originally after a polyphonic analog synth. when i found out the moog wasnt poly i started to look at the va's. the va's are peaking my interest but i think i still want a real polyphonic analog rather than some type of virtual analog.

piano is my second instrument. im going to be making guitar based music. kind of math-rock/space rock/post rock. i want a synth to beef up the sound, add texture, and for melodies. im going to be using it for recording primarily so i want the sound to be as warm and fat as possible. the only synth i have now is a microkorg. i've learned a lot from it but it just doesnt sound that great.

i also compose music. i have a number of contemporary pieces i need to write for a portfolio so i would like to incorporate a synthesizer into them in some way. say in the vein that a film scorer would do. but i dont want it for the replication of the sounds of the instruments in an orchestra.

for analog im between the DSI stuff and the alesis andromeda. if im going to bother with va's im intrigued by the access virus and the waldorf stuff. the roland seems cool, but im not sure that i like its layout and it seems like it does things that i dont need. like i dont need a synth thats going to sound like a great sampled brass section.

im relatively new to synthesis. i understand how each part of a synthesizer works based on working with effects in the past and i want to edit my own sounds

• Members

well i was originally after a polyphonic analog synth. when i found out the moog wasnt poly i started to look at the va's. the va's are peaking my interest but i think i still want a real polyphonic analog rather than some type of virtual analog.

Same dilemma here, decided that for the best analog money can buy on a reasonable price (bellow 2000 euros) , andromeda is the only option. Ordered and today I am going to collect it by car cause is a 25kg heavyweight champion.

• Members

well i was originally after a polyphonic analog synth.

...how about starting with a Juno or a Polysix or something? I wouldn't spend that kind of money on something I wasn't familiar with.

If you want the Moog sounds, you should probably get a Moog, though. Perhaps a vintage Moog will suffice; A Micromoog, Minitmoog, Source, Prodigy, Rogue, or even a Realistic Concertmate MG-1 might do the trick, not nescessarily a Voyager. OR, you could get a Studio-Electronics SE-1 or an ATC-1.

If you want poly "moogish" sounds, take a look at the Minimax or a NOAH/NOAH EX (which will also give you Pro-One sounds, B3, poly VA and possibly their Profit-5). A Poly-800 with the "Moogslayer" mod is also a cheap way to start.

The cheapest analog poly today might be the DSI Tetra. The MoPho sounds great, and four instances of MoPho can give anything a run for its money.

• Members

for analog im between the DSI stuff and the alesis andromeda. if im going to bother with va's im intrigued by the access virus and the waldorf stuff. the roland seems cool, but im not sure that i like its layout and it seems like it does things that i dont need. like i dont need a synth thats going to sound like a great sampled brass section.

For *me personally*, the Andromeda is a much better analog than the DSI polys. It's much deeper and can create far more complex sounds than the P'08 / Tetra can.

On the other hand, since you are new to synthesis, the depth of the Andromeda might be a disadvantage at first, in a way... :idk: It depends on how much learning curve you want, I guess. Most VAs aren't that simplistic, either...

• Members

For *me personally*, the Andromeda is a much better analog than the DSI polys. It's much deeper and can create far more complex sounds than the P'08 / Tetra can.

On the other hand, since you are new to synthesis, the depth of the Andromeda might be a disadvantage at first, in a way...
:idk:
It depends on how much learning curve you want, I guess. Most VAs aren't that simplistic, either...

I tried really hard to find a non modular analog synth that offers as much as andromeda , but failed. And the strange thing is that the next best thing has less than half the features of andromeda . It makes no sense :poke::rolleyes:

• Members

I tried really hard to find a non modular analog synth that offers as much as andromeda , but failed. And the strange thing is that the next best thing has less than half the features of andromeda . It makes no sense :poke:
:rolleyes:

And don't forget costs almost as much :lol:

The Andromeda really does look killer.

• Members

Based on your description of what you want you don't need an analog or a va. You want either a fantom, Motif, or M3.

i've played a motif. my old roommate had one. i definitely dont want that. i dont need some faux daw beat machine. i want a synth. it seems like the andromeda is the best thing out there for what im looking for. im not worried about a learning curve. id rather have more buttons. i need to learn synthesis anyways. im trying to break into film audio by doing basic editing at first. but i'd love to do sound design down the road

Archived