Jim Morrison glimpses the future...

Karma1

• Members

Last night I was watching VH1 and they had a couple documentaries on The Doors. In an interview, they were talking about how the trend (back in 1968) seemed to be going retro - back to the blues and roots music. At that point Morrison said that he thought eventually a new element of music was going to be electronic and that "some day" there will be just one person up on stage surrounded by a bunch of machines and electronic devices making music, instead of a whole band. Back then a statement like that was very far fetched and probably inconceivable to most musicians of the time. But here we are now, and Morrison was right.

• Members

I actually saw that when it was broadcast. That particular show was cool in that whatever band was the guest performers played live for about 30 minutes, and then they had a "rap session", usually about "the revolution", it being the late 60's and all.

On that show the Doors debuted the Soft Parade live, I remember how dissapointed I was when the studio version came out later.

• Members

Well the mechanical one-man band thing has been going for who-knows-how-long. I knew a guy in my home town who did that - mostly at charitable occasions and town functions like parades and whatnot. His main jobs were as a school bus driver and a farmer, and his farm was full of electro-mechanical gadgets, gizmos, and models of all sorts.

• Members

In the year 1626, Francis Bacon wrote "New Atlantis", in which he predicted the Eventide Harmonizer:

"...strange and artificial echoes, re-flecting the voice many times, and, as it were, tossing it; and some that give back the voice louder than it came, some shriller and some deeper; yea, some rendering the voice, differing in the letters or articulate sound from that they receive..."

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/texts/bacon/atlantis.html

• Members

Last night I was watching VH1 and they had a couple documentaries on The Doors. In an interview, they were talking about how the trend (back in 1968) seemed to be going retro - back to the blues and roots music. At that point Morrison said that he thought eventually a new element of music was going to be electronic and that "some day" there will be just one person up on stage surrounded by a bunch of machines and electronic devices making music, instead of a whole band. Back then a statement like that was very far fetched and probably inconceivable to most musicians of the time. But here we are now, and Morrison was right.

I am not really surprised, he was a spiritual person and obviously very intelligent with very powerful beliefs.

However you must bare in mind that electronic music is alot older than people think . And certainly much older than Jim's statement. So his statement is far from a prediction.

Take the Barons for example, they made the first 100% electronic soundtrack, which even this day is groundbreaking for the movie "Forbidden Planet" in 1956 (which is probably the best sci if I have ever seen, you wont believe the sophistication of the special effects!!!) !!! But they earliest work was in 1950 that is almost 20 years before Jim Morrison's Statement.

So electronic music was there for a long time its just had not exploded yet.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4486840

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_and_Bebe_Barron

barrons300.jpg

[YOUTUBE]juhdbifA4vQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Gfz1XrV8x04&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Archived