another Juno 6 chip question

space cred

• Members

two quick questions to supplement my research:

1. ALL the notes of the keyboard are affected equally, unlike a lot of the others I've read about, where people described one or more keys 'going out'. whats up with that??

2. I have a Juno 6, not 106. Is there any differences I should consider? (besides the fact that I can't do the test procedure as described on the analoguerenessaince page)?

Ta!

• Members

1. What's up with that is that it means the problem you are experiencing is not in the voice circuitry. It is probably somewhere in the mixer, chorus, or output stage.

2. Yes. The Juno 6 doesn't have the same problem that the Juno 106 has - the 106 has a problem with an IC that is specific to that synth.

• Members

when I first turn it on, it plays fine, but then after a few minutes it starts to act up. The sound becomes thin and raspy, and there's a noticable lag, or latency between the note being pressed and the sound. Once it's starting acting up, it's done for the night.

yeah, every note played has a problem.

I think sometimes notes don't trigger once it's acting up, but it's hard to tell exactly what's going on because of the lag and weakness.

• Members

Possibly, or there could be a bad cap pulling down voltage. If it's a large capacitor (like something in the power supply) that could take a little bit to (dis)charge and create the issues described. It's also plausible that an issue like that would cause the systemic issues that scotron is describing.

But temperature is easier to check. Does the juno 6 feel really hot anywhere, particularly in the back near where the power cord is? Not just warm, but hot?

• Members

yeah, i guess if it gets worse as it warms up and stays bad after that, it must be related to overheating in some way right.

one thing i noticed when I peeked inside: near the volume pot, there's two wires grounded to the chassis via a screw. OR RATHER, it looks like they should both be connected, but only one is. The one that is NOT connected comes from the transformer (i think - the big metal thing in there). The one that IS connected comes from underneath the keybed.

It's not soldered down, but the end of the wires is a circle, which is held down by the screw.

edit: no, i've never noticed it getting especially HOT. warm yes. I'll check that out.

the capacitors 'look' ok, if that matters. meaning.. they're not leaking or anything

• Members

Without bench testing it it's really hard to say. Heat is a possibility, but by no means is it the only possible cause for the symptoms you are describing.

The transformer definitely needs to be grounded somehow. It sounds like that wire needs to be screwed down. That might even be causing the problems you're having if it's causing a reference voltage to start floating higher/lower than it should. But power supplies aren't something that you should attempt to service on your own at all if you don't already know what you're doing. I would take that Juno 6 to a tech. Yeah, it'll suck if the fix is something really simple (like connecting that wire to the chassis) but it just isn't worth potentially injuring yourself or further damaging the machine.

• Members

thats good advice, luckily my poking around before didn't damage anything further as far as I know.

the weird thing to me about the ground is there's like 4 or 5 little washers between the chassis and the screw. A couple of them are the 'toothed' ones, and a couple are normal, flat washers. SO, to me, that was further evidence that the unconnected wire should be on there.

so when I did connect it, I made sure that the two grounds, screw and chassis all had a washer between them (or something like that).

powered it back on, and it worked ok for a minute (as per usual), and then starting acting up as usual. the weird thing though... in addition to the 'main synth sound', there was an indepenant tone, I think a sine wave, that played as well. the secondary tone went away when I raised the sustain on the ADSR.

I disconnected the wire again, and the tone went away.

WEIRD.

anyways.. anybody know a good synth tech in Toronto? :)

thanks for the guys.

Archived