Yamaha S80 Question/What To Buy?

stixcom92

• Members

So I currently have a yamaha S80 that I got for free to learn on. I'm mainly a drummer, trying to learn some keys. Unfortunately, this S80 is missing quite a few keys in the lowest and highest octaves, and is missing some vital support screws that make the whole thing fall apart when not lifted correctly by more than 2 people. As of now, it's staying in my studio, but I hope to eventually take it out. I like some of the sounds on it, so I had kind of a noob question- is it possible to just rip off the actual keyboard part, and keep the sound module part, since all the controls are on the top half of the keyboard?

I am thinking of replacing it, but I don't know if I can find something for a good price that does what this can. I like some of the sounds that it has on it (Rhodes, Wurly, some special effects sounds), and the ability that I can get pro tools to play it on 16 different midi channels. My budget's under 1000. What's a good synth under 1000 (could be used/new/vintage) that has these features? Piano sounds are important, but I have a micropiano for that. What's really important is the Midi and the rhodes/wurly/other sounds. Thanks.

Archived