Help save a SonicCell!

HenriKK

• Members

Ok, so after spending the Saturday fighting with my SonicCell, I decided to swallow my pride and ask for help. :facepalm: You'll be my new best friend if you can tell me how to use SonicCell as a VSTi in Ableton.

SC firmware: 1.20

DAW: Ableton 8

Keyboard: s90es

I've installed Vista 64 bit drivers etc. I've read Roland's workshop PDF about using SC in Ableton. I've googled every word imaginable that could be related to this problem. If I plug a midi cord and a USB to it, I can get a sound out of it. But no matter what I do, I can't get it to play any tracks. For some reason the midi signal doesn't seem to travel from Ableton to SC. Or SC doesn't register it.

It is my understanding that a single USB connection should suffice. In case I've overlooked something simple (as I'm sure I have), please let me know.

Luckily, my Saturday hasn't gone completely to waste as I've managed to achieve an exceptionally strong urge to hit the "idiot box" with my hammer. :mad: At least that way I could get some sound out of it.

Thanks,

HenriKK

• Members

Ok, so after spending the Saturday fighting with my SonicCell, I decided to swallow my pride and ask for help.
:facepalm:
You'll be my new best friend if you can tell me how to use SonicCell as a VSTi in Ableton.

SC firmware: 1.20

DAW: Ableton 8

Keyboard: s90es

I've installed Vista 64 bit drivers etc. I've read Roland's workshop PDF about using SC in Ableton. I've googled every word imaginable that could be related to this problem. If I plug a midi cord and a USB to it, I can get a sound out of it. But no matter what I do, I can't get it to play any tracks. For some reason the midi signal doesn't seem to travel from Ableton to SC. Or SC doesn't register it.

It is my understanding that a single USB connection should suffice. In case I've overlooked something simple (as I'm sure I have), please let me know.

Luckily, my Saturday hasn't gone completely to waste as I've managed to achieve an exceptionally strong urge to hit the "idiot box" with my hammer.
:mad:
At least that way I could get some sound out of it.

Thanks,

HenriKK

Check if Sonic cell is set to recive/send MIDI. I really cant think of anything else...

• Members

* you don't need both a MIDI cable and USB on SC if your keyboard controller has its own connection to the computer

* How are you getting the MIDI notes recorded into Live, with a separate controller? If so, is it transmitting directly to your computer, have you set it up as a MIDI input in Live and selected it for the track(s) you want to record? If you've got it plugged directly into SC then you are probably not recording any MIDI in Live

* where do you have your audio outputs, from your PC or from SC? If the latter, there's a USB Audio configuration menu you need to go to; if the former, make sure you have your Audio setting in Live pointed to the right soundcard, etc.

* When you recorded your MIDI, did you arm the track(s) that you want to send to SC? Do you actually have notes recorded on those tracks?

* If yes, do you have the track(s) armed during playback, the MIDI output routed correctly and the levels up on both the track and the master faders?

* are you sending on the expected MIDI channel#(s) to SC (if Live's sending on 1 and SC is set to receive on 2 it won't work)?

* if you're in performance mode, do you have any parts muted/volume to 0?

* do you have the standalone version of the Editor open (can't do both at once)?

* do you have any standalone instruments open (not inside Live) that are hogging the sound card?

* are you sending a volume=0 message on the same MIDI channel(s) you are sending notes to?

* if you're using the Effects section in SC, are the levels set to 0?

* is the sample rate on the SC set the same as in Live?

* do you have USB MIDI THRU set to ON, but it's not set that way in Live?

That's all I could think of/glean from the manual, HTH

• Members

Thorhead, terrellmiller:

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try to go through them tomorrow after work and let you guys know how it goes.

I've started to think that maybe there are some mystical compatibility issues arising between SC firmware/OS/DAW that are beyond my skills to notice, let alone fix.

Anyways, thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Ps. Depulse, your suggestion was noted as well :)

• Members

I went through the suggestions. Most I had already tried and sadly the rest didn't seem to work either. But thanks for the effort, guys.

In addition to what has already been said, I've reinstalled Ableton, the driver and software, changed USB cable and recalled the factory settings of SC.

I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the USB connection. Ableton receives midi data just fine and I sends it to the proper SC channel, however the "midi message" light doesn't blink in SC, which I'm imagining should.

Archived