The Vangelis method

Mediterranean

• Members

I heard some of this musician's compositions several years ago, and I love his stuff. He's very fond of Vangelis.

In this little vid, he emulates the way Vangelis composes music [one instrument, one moment].

I believe the sounds are coming from a Roland XV-5080, which he uses solely to compose music [he used to, anyway]. Some demos can be heard here.

Again, this is a reminder of what can be done using one instrument:)

If someone has this and wants to get rid of it, please keep it until I win the lottery:)

• Members

. Some demos can be heard

Again, this is a reminder of what can be done using one instrument:)

If someone has
and wants to get rid of it, please keep it until I win the lottery:)

Vangelis certainly does not use a single instrument, quite the opposite , he loves to jump around various synths. I do not know where you get your facts from.

Vangelis also claim that he makes music in one go, with no sequencing, meaning no midi edting. He achieves that through a complex mid setup with various pedal that give him the ability to turn synth on and off and browse through presets.

However it is a tiny bit questionable how much "real time" vangelis is, I think he exaggerates a bit about his method. Vangelis may be an excellent composer but is far from a great player , his melodies are quite easy to play, but he invest alot on his sound. Sound wise , some things just cant be done in real time, so some previous programming will be required. I do believe that mostly he says the truth.

By the way this is the way I work too, I rarely spend more than 3 hours per musical piece and do most of my melody in real time. There also loads of musicians that work like this from the dawn of time.

It is not anything special and actually its much easier to work like this.

• Members

Hi everyone :-)

It is not anything special and actually its much easier to work like this.

True. That's how it's been for ages, maybe except for BBC Radiophonic and in music concrete. Only the invention of MIDI has changed it for some people.

I think, Vangelis is telling the truth about his approach. He can play some of his pieces in one go and I will disagree that he's not a great player. His melodies are simple (some of them are not, listen to the album Mask, for one example) but it takes a great skill to put so much expression into simple melodies.

Albums like Albedo 0.39 had to be multitracked because you've got plenty of accoustic percussion and other instruments in there. How could he play drums and synths at the same time? I mean in the 70's without samplers.

The composer's released work in the form of albums is obviously not a result of one sitting at the keyboards. When talking about the "direct method" he probably meant the whole lot of music he plays between the albums. He doesn't even like the idea of "album".

Talking about "direct" approach to music - it's not that straightforward as it seems. Take a drum machine, Elektron Machinedrum for example. Unless you tap the rhythm on the pads it's not real time. But if you take a Korg Minipops which is only a preset rhythm machine and press a button - it starts playing - you've done all in real time and now you have hands free to play the keys.

Now get back to the Machinedrum and programme your preset rhythm. From now on you can use it as a preset machine in real time for your music. Same with patch programming on synths. If Pulstar has a running, LFO driven arp in the background, Vangelis had to pre-programme this on his Korg 700 or Arp or whatever he used for that part. It's hard to put a strict line between pre-programming and direct playing when it comes to synthesizers.

• Members

Here is a Vangelis interview discussing his methods ...

http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.singleplaylist&friendid=190821672

It's the last track.

My$0.02, based on the above track.

He appears to be using a performance in multi-timbral synth or multiple layered synths.

The audio quality is very high.

He bends to the dynamics implicit in the arrangement. Slow envelopes are more important in his playing that in most other "keyboardists" who play pianistically.

He still loves to use FM/cross modulation somewhere in the middle of a warm pad. (The shadow of the CS80.)

His timbral pallette is essentially what it was. Synth instruments playing orchestral roles, apart from a handful of "tricks' like the aforementioned cross mod, some delays, some lfo mod of amp, etc.

• Members

If you can, there is a 1h long French TV show from 1992 called "musiques au coeur" where Vangelis demonstrates Live his way of working in the great glass studio he had back then in Paris and that was destroyed since.

He actually plays orchestral music (including percussions) with many keyboards and a complex system of pedals routing: see these excerpts on you tube:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Regards,

V

• Members
Vangelis certainly does not use a single instrument' date=' quite the opposite , he loves to jump around various synths. I do not know where you get your facts from. QUOTE']

Easy there, man - he said that the guy emulating Vangelis uses just the one synth.

Read beore attacking, please.

Archived