MC-505, tell me about it

Fine_Young_Fool

• Members

I'm sure there are already threads like this, but my search skills are failing me. Direction to one would be appreciated.

I am thinking of ways to start recording electronic music on my own. I have a decent grasp of synth programming, and I have an R3, I just need something for rhythm and recording.

Would an MC-505 be a good way to go? They seem fairly highly regarded. I'm not sure if I fully understand how they work, but it seems like a fairly convenient way to go about making songs.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

• Members

The MC-505 is a box filled with patterns and sounds.

Thing is, all those patterns are pretty dated, so you'll have to program your own. Also, all those sounds can be found in the JV/XP Techno expansion set; the 505 simply has 'm in a slightly lower quality. If you don't like any of the offered percussion: tough luck, you're either stuck with them or you'll have to get a sampler.

What's your available budget? Do you insist on a hardware box - I mean, lots of things are possible with a computer, a nice piece of software and an audio interface, which allows you to record your R3 so you can free it up for other duties.

• Members

Lots....

Depending on your computer type and how recent it is needed to start recommendations.

I used to work with a cat in PDX/Vancouver who had a MC-303. I had the 303,307,505 and I would still have the Mc-307 but he finally talked me out of it so I sold it.

A net book with a ton of freeware would probably out do the MC-505.

• Members

I've heard it said many times that the MC505 has a dated sound, but that really only describes the presets. The 505 has a JV sound engine in it, and you can layer sounds and create your own patches and rhythms to sound as up-to-date as you'd like (well, as up-to-date as a rompler can sound).

The main reason to get the MC505, if you're interested, is the interface. It has a great control surface for mixing and remixing rhythms, grooves, and songs. Just a fun box to work on. Once you learn how to use it, the work flow is quite good.

Still, the 505 does have its limits, and a computer-based sampler and sequencer will have more flexibility and a wider choice of raw sounds to work with.

For $150 more you might also consider the Yamaha RS7000, which has a sampler, better effects, a larger display, and a much more advanced sequencer.

• Members

You can add a almost impossible to find 5V smart media card and have up to 1000 patches or more in that thing, which makes the preset's a thing of the past.. minus the fact that organization is poor.

The RS7000 that Zoink recommended is a nice box. Most of the grovebox/workstations they cover allot of bases but don't cover anything completely. But you have to start somewhere.

Kaz

• Members

I'm a big fan of the 505's effects processor. If you're looking more for drums, consider the Yamaha RM1x. It's about the same price with nicer drums and a better sequencer. The 505 has better "groovebillity" and feels more natural in my hands. Or get both!

• Members

I'm wondering which has more music possibilities though, a Mac or a PC?

Doesn't matter. Since you're not using anything yet you're not tied to a particular piece of software.

You're asking the wrong question. The right question is which sequencer and audio interface you want to use. Mac or PC follows from that.

Download demo versions of the sequencing packages, try them one at a time, see what you like best.

• Members

If I remember correctly, many of the 505's suffer from a failing LCD, so it's something you might want to check when buying used.

Also a search on the internet might give you more information regarding this problem.

As far as a Cubase demo, you can buy a box of crackerjacks and they'll include Cubase LE.:lol:

• Members

505 was my first synth.

If you don't mind scrolling through large patche banks on a small LCD screen, and learning the submenus you can make some really great stuff with the 505.

It has {censored} loads of presets, mostly useless stuff, but you can manipulate it if you don't feel like building your own patterns from scratch.

I always though it was strange that it had more presets then user patches, and you couldn't delete the presets, like they were {censored}ing gold or something? IT"S MY SYNTH I"LL DELETE WHAT I WANT!

I guess that's part of the reason I sold it.

Archived