Evolver 1.0, 2.0, 3.0?

sleepykeith

• Members

so i'm about ready to take the plunge on a desktop evolver (used).

looking on dave's site under support it looks like 3 versions have been released? are those upgraded operating systems?

if so, is there anything to know about the different versions? and how can i tell what version it is?

thanks!

• Members

yeah i saw that. but it doesn't go into much detail in regards to what the upgrades improve on. it just says some "minor bugs".

just wanted to know if there was anything to watch out for as i'm shopping.

it looks like to upgrade to 3.0 requires some hardware... but i can't find anything that says specifically what 3.0 does that 1.0/2.0 doesn't.

• Members

yeah i saw that. but it doesn't go into much detail in regards to what the upgrades improve on. it just says some "minor bugs".

just wanted to know if there was anything to watch out for as i'm shopping.

it looks like to upgrade to 3.0 requires some hardware... but i can't find anything that says specifically what 3.0 does that 1.0/2.0 doesn't.

You took the trouble to go to the web site - why not try the source? :idea:

707-963-7006

mail@davesmithinstruments.com

dB

• Members

Versions 3.0 adds expanded MIDI control instead of funky Sysex on 1.0 and 2.0, but it does require an actual hardware upgrade. Version 2.0 improved on 1.0 by allowing more things (like distortion) to be modulation targets, and as I recall it added some different sequencer modes. All in all, 2.0 is just fine,

• Members

Versions 3.0 adds expanded MIDI control instead of funky Sysex on 1.0 and 2.0, but it does require an actual hardware upgrade. Version 2.0 improved on 1.0 by allowing more things (like distortion) to be modulation targets, and as I recall it added some different sequencer modes. All in all, 2.0 is just fine,

thank you sir. :thu:

• Members

i love it. but i also don't expect it to be anything but a fuzzy bass and string machine. it sounds very raw and present compared to my juno. it's extremely limited, but there's something very fun about that. the 100% polyphony is very nice. tuning is rock solid. i've owned a model D, prodigy, and rogue and i can say the opus3 doesn't sound like those, but it does have the filter. i use it mainly for big crunchy chord progressions.

• Members

The upgrade is pretty easy if you follow the instructions.

2.0 added an additional bank. 1.0 only had three banks, 2.0 added a fourth.

3.0 added MUCH fuller MIDI control.

Chances are, you might be getting 3.0 anyway. Check on the site for the range of serial numbers, where they pick up each version.

Dave's a cool guy, though, and really doesn't mind answering questions.

Archived