OTish: portal for dance music?

Metrosonus

• Members

I think Soundclick would be an excellent choice metro. You choose the genre you want to be in when you start up your page.

Simply by visiting other's in your genre(or others)you can link them and they will link you and the more people you visit, the more exposure you get.

They also have a charts system, the more people who download your music, the higher you go up in the charts.

http://www.soundclick.com/

• Members

im already on myspace, it's pretty, ah los muertos. i'll have to look into soundlick. do people actually use that? i mean, it's not just a "dump" site for people to link to their on music?

i guess i'm hoping for a site that people can look for my music right next to other big names in the genre. i may be being too idealistic, that is until i have enough for a CD that i could submit to someone that lists on itunes ect.. sigh.

• Members

I tried soundclick, but I found their interface infuriating. I could be an id10t, but that site just seems like they don't want you to be able to figure out how to upload (rather important) or navigate your own page.

I ended up just using that ovi site because you can upload as much as you want, and I found that if you upload a .wav (up to 100mb which is huge), then others can download it making long distance collaboration a breeze without messing with rapidshare or the like (which I also abhor).

That said, exposure is really up to you...word of mouth, shameless spamming, KSS sig...

• Members

I tried soundclick, but I found their interface infuriating. I could be an id10t, but that site just seems like they don't want you to be able to figure out how to upload (rather important) or navigate your own page.

Clav...I AMan idiot:lol:when it comes to things like uploading songs but I figured it out and once you do it, it's easy after that.

Metro, I think it's a good place to see how people will respond to your music, especially if it's in a genre that other's are submitting in, as well as checking out other music to see how good yours is in comparison.

It's also fun to see where your song sits in the charts.

You can allow people to stream your songs in lofi or hifi but not download them, or give it away free if you want.

I think there is even a way of charging.

It's free, and you have nothing to lose by trying it out.

• Members

Soundclick might not be as popular as it used to be (? if it ever was), but it's weird how much 'exposure' you can get on there sometimes. i've put some tracks on there that have somehow gone to at least the Top 10 in the genre charts and had a ton of plays (and maybe downloads as well). they also have 'radio' pages and sometimes tracks get chosen for those by users that run them. not that any of this has helped me very much. :D haven't used the site in a while though. i wish Soundcloud was set up a bit more like that. hell, i don't even know how to search for artists by genre on there.

• Members

and i have a bunch of "the old days" stuff that im sure no one wants to hear
:lol:

The better judge isn't the author, but the audience. Those are precisely the ones that need exposure:)

Soundclick is fantastic. Tens of thousands of hits [several songs], people [mostly musicians too] subscribing, leaving comments, etc. You can also see how many hits you're getting for each song on a daily basis -therefore, you'll know which kind of music your listeners like most. In my case, the song people listen to the most frequently is a little tune I composed using a synth and to which an internet friend added electric guitar to [interesting, ain't it?:idea:].

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=289516&songID=2066904

There are also users in there that have "Radio Stations", and I noticed that some of my tunes have been chosen by some. That's extra exposure:)

Also, if you can afford it, you can have them publicize one of your songs on the main page for 1 day [thousands of people will click on it].

I wish you the best of luck:)

• Members

I personally am not looking for that... all I'm looking for is the best Facebook widget. Soundclick's widget is good for LJ but I'm not happy with their Facebook link. :/ I hated iLike. I had trouble getting ReverbNation's one to work.

All I'll use it for is to post links to the few who want to listen. That's all.

These days, to get any sort of publicity at all, it seems that you have to be in "scenes" and "cliques" and be a superfan of a particularly narrow genre. The best answer is to be in a band where at least one person is a good social butterfly. :lol:

Judging by the culture of the Interwebs, I'd probably get more "hits" by, say, making a techno remix of Jenny Slate's F-bomb versus composing a real tune. :lol:

• Members

i was just having a discussion about this with my wife last night. i guess the best i can really do is to tag the heck out of everything and if someone finds their way to it, that's the best i can hope for.

sound cloud is pretty universal.. it won't post to facebook, but anything that will allow embed tags will work.

Archived