How do you check if a band name is used?

aztechno

• Members

Just like the title says, how do you check to see if a band name is used?

Do you have to go through a lawyer or some particular entity?

Do you need to incorporate?

I remember a band in the UK could not use their band name in the US (Shapeshifters) so they had to use Shape: UK

• Members

Google. Enjoy it until someone says you can't use it. There was a band in the 80's called The Nelsons WAY before the Nelson twins started making music. They were on MTV with a couple records before the Nelson twins formed a band as far as I know. Guess who ended up with the name? The ones with the better lawyers and more money.

• Members

Yes indeed.

Back in the late 70's - early 80's I played in a band in LA called Monarch. We gigged around for a couple of years, playing all of the major clubs under that name. We were a three-piece prog rock group.

All of a sudden, another three-piece band named Monarch popped up in LA, playing the same places we were playing. Our fans were confused as hell. It turned out that the band was fronted by Michael Monarch, the original guitarist for Steppenwolf. His lawyers sent our lawyers a letter saying he had rights to the name because a zillion years previously he'd performed as Monarch.

We were pissed. We'd already established ourselves, and even made a self-produced record under that name. We'd played dozens of shows at the Troubadour, Starwood, Madame Wongs...

Bottom line, our lawyers convinced us that we didn't want to start off our careers in a nasty lawsuit with some guy who had lots more money than we did. So we grudgingly changed our name.

25 years later I still get pissed off whenever I think about it.

• Members

Once upon a time there was an Ottawa band called the Staccatos. For a brief time around 1968, they were the 5-D but this was wiped out by the Fifth Dimension. They renamed themselves the Five Man Electrical Band and had hits with "Signs" and "Werewolf". Ya do what ya hafta.

• Members

How about "Aztechno" as a name? Of course, it depends on the kind of music you and your band are into:)

I googled it and it seems there's no band by that name.

I have been working on other genres lately, I am thinking that the name would suggest I only do techno.

• Members

Just use whatever band name you want. If someone comes along with a cease and desist, then you'll know it's time for a new band name. You won't get in trouble unless you keep using it after the court says not to.

Just make sure you have someone to prove when you started using your name, you don't want a late bloomer stealing your handle.

• Members

Google. Enjoy it until someone says you can't use it. There was a band in the 80's called The Nelsons WAY before the Nelson twins started making music. They were on MTV with a couple records before the Nelson twins formed a band as far as I know. Guess who ended up with the name? The ones with the better lawyers and more money.

I remember the early '80s Nelsons..."I Don't Mind..."

Actually the Nelson twins from the late '80s recorded under the name "Nelson."

• Members

I remember the early '80s Nelsons..."I Don't Mind..."

Actually the Nelson twins from the late '80s recorded under the name "Nelson."

Yet, Nelson sued The Nelsons and they had to change their name. I work with one of them actually. SUPER nice guy. Still lives in Lubbock, Texas. What I *DIDN'T* know was that two of the guys in the I Don't Mind video were actors, not band members because they looked more the part or something like that.

A little 80's trivia, when they DID change their name, what did they change it to?

Unexplained Cattle Mutilations

-Mc

• Members

Yes indeed.

Back in the late 70's - early 80's I played in a band in LA called Monarch. We gigged around for a couple of years, playing all of the major clubs under that name. We were a three-piece prog rock group.

All of a sudden, another three-piece band named Monarch popped up in LA, playing the same places we were playing. Our fans were confused as hell. It turned out that the band was fronted by Michael Monarch, the original guitarist for Steppenwolf. His lawyers sent our lawyers a letter saying he had rights to the name because a zillion years previously he'd performed as Monarch.

We were pissed. We'd already established ourselves, and even made a self-produced record under that name. We'd played dozens of shows at the Troubadour, Starwood, Madame Wongs...

Bottom line, our lawyers convinced us that we didn't want to start off our careers in a nasty lawsuit with some guy who had lots more money than we did. So we grudgingly changed our name.

25 years later I still get pissed off whenever I think about it.

A similar thing happened to a band once known as Majesty.....

Anyway, the only band name you need to know is Wyld Stallionz !!!!!

Archived