what's so different about gear slutz?

Metrosonus

• Members

:idk:

i've browsed a few times and i've seen inactive members there, but more or less it seems the same, although I think to a small extent the range of gear discussed is wider.

to those that have hung out there for a while, what's the main difference?

just curious, please no mod bashing. :cop:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

there are a lot of 'studio guys' there that are super into themselves and think they're really good but still don't really _get it_. i stopped going there after i heard 'warm up the signal' for the 50th time in one day.

if you want an alternative for recording tech forums, go to tape op or home recording bbs and hang with albini.

i thought that hip hoppers ruled the roost over there in the synth/sampler sections?

• Members

i think it may be 50/50.. half the reason i left another similar forum was the most of it was studio / produca types giving misinformation based on what big name artist used what gear or what just looked cool in an attempt to gather people into their online flock.

oh yea, lots of discussions too about phat and warm..:rolleyes: i was just curious mainly. people seem to get bored here and gravitate over there and i dont get it myself.

• Members

I occasionally lurk over there, but I have to agree with the above. It's amazing what they consider entry-level.

If you're recording for a living, then sure, it's worth getting higher quality outboard gear. But for most of us hobbyists, it's good enough to get 70% of the quality for 20% of the price (not an exact calculation).

• Members

It appears to me that a lot of the dudes there are a lot snottier than here. Their attitude is always like, "The Moog Voyager is junk...anyone without a Model D is a total loser." Or "why would you waste your time with a Prophet 08? Its encoders are garbage and it sucks compared to a Prophet 5" and so on.

I tend to like HC a little more because folks here have a more "Do your own thing" and "whatever you dig" sorta vibe.

That said, its not all bad over there, and I do visit from time to time.

• Members

It appears to me that a lot of the dudes there are a lot snottier than here.

Oh yeah. Over there it seems that the only digital synth anyone could possibly want to own is a DX7. And I've even read that Roland only makes 'prosumer' gear.

I'm not complaining though-- I think that site helps to keep prices down on some used gear.

• Members

Yeah, I visit over there sometimes. I mostly agree with what's been said so far. Occasionally, someone will make a harsh comment, and then someone else will say something along the lines of, "Careful, we don't want to turn this into HC KSS." Hmmm. Some of the threads here do descend into personal attacks, but it is pretty rare, I think (but I wasn't here during the hey day of the Oasys discussions!), and in general, I'd say the vibe over there is more aggressive. I like it here better.

• Members

Occasionally, someone will make a harsh comment, and then someone else will say something along the lines of, "Careful, we don't want to turn this into HC KSS." Hmmm. Some of the threads here do descend into personal attacks, but it is pretty rare, I think (but I wasn't here during the hey day of the Oasys discussions!), and in general, I'd say the vibe over there is more aggressive. I like it here better.

oh the irony. most of what i've read is playground taunts. i agree.

• Members

I do read them when I find a topic I'm interested in. There's some people there that know their {censored} and are cool to talk to.

But there's a lot of "I have such and such so I'm worth more than you" attitude as well.

I would say:

KSS - Musicians from all over, though at least half are probably from the US. Very diverse in their music: there's the keyboard-player-in-a-band crowd, the producer crowd (albeit small), the hobbyist crowd, the modular synth geek crowd, etc...

GS - Musicians from all over but at least 80% are Europeans. The musical tastes are pretty much all within the Electronic Music variety - you won't see the keyboard-players-in-a-band hanging out there much. It's mostly producers and wanna-be-producers or electronic music. Some hobbyists are also welcome, as long as they have a good number of expensive synths...

Oh and they seem not to have much of a sense of humor sometimes. An European thing maybe?

Archived