Have you met any famous keyboard players?

The Pro

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ryo Okumoto
:D

Win !!!!!!

Can I list KB players I'd like to meet ?!?!?!

I'd love to meet Rudess, Airy, Moore, Shernian, Gowan, De Young, Novello, Lord, Jonesy......for starters.

The only (semi) famous musicians I've ever met and hung out with were Doug Pinnik and Ty Tabor from Kings-X. Alas, no keys.

• Members

not sure about 'famous keyboard players', but a few famous electronic musicians...

- met cEvin Key (Skinny Puppy) when the Ohgr tour came through here.

- met and had dinner with Richie Hawtin when he came here for his 'Decks/FX/909' tour. loaned him my SH-101 for the show.

- met the Digital Hardcore crew (Alec Empire/ATR, EC8OR, Shizuo) when they came to town. they invited me back to their hotel room where we hung out until the early morning. (lesson learned: don't let Europeans roll the joints.)

i think that's about it...

• Members

I met David Tudor at a Henry Cowell festival in New York State. We chatted quite a bit and it turned out that, according to him, the Barrons (famous for the Forbidden Planet soundtrack) kinda ripped off his intellectual property. Interesting moment.

Also, I met Tom Johnson, pianist and composer of some really cool avant garde/minimalist work.

• Members

I was going to say "none" :), but now that I've thought about it, I've met some known names known in various electronic dance scenes. Josh Wink, the Rabbit in the Moon guys, the Negative Format guy, the Combichrist guy, some of the Cruxshadows, that sort of thing. (I know I've met a few more decently known DJ / producer types but I'm horrible with names, as you can tell. :facepalm:)

Constance Demby also once emailed me to ask if I had a D-50 patch. Does that count? :lol:

• Members

Well, I was blessed to work for a major Florida-based retailer back in the 80's, as well as a highly respected backline agency so my list is extensive but it includes:

Chuck Leavell (Allmans, Clapton, Stones)

Tony Banks (Genesis)

Billy Preston (Beatles, etc.)

Jimmy Greenspoon (Three Dog Night)

All nice guys and most were very willing to talk tech with me. Wish I was still in that line of work.....

• Members

Derek Sherinian. He was always the most accessible of the Dream Theater members during the time he was in the band. The other guys would be doing something (practicing chops, probably) and Derek would be hanging out with the fans. Yet he never missed a note when they played, he's an excellent player.

I think that's about it... most bands I used to listen to until recently don't even have a keyboard player when they go out and play live...

• Members

Hmmm, let me think... Umm...

...no. I haven't met any famous keyboard players.
:cry:

Fame is relative anyways. Considering how random it is in a way, and how divided today's music scene is anyways, I don't put a huge amount of creed in it. It seems like a lot of the "famous" musicians I meet are rather well known in certain "scenes" but completely unknown outside of it. And most are just ordinary folks anyways, so why care too much?

Non-keyboard "fame" story: When I was in a couple bands some time ago, I was scheduled with Band #1 to do a show with The Dollyrots. I'd never heard of them at that time, but apparently these once were locals, then they moved to LA, and got a track on a movie or two and a Kohl's commercial or something. This brush of "fame" excited some members of band #1.

Band #2, which has been around *much* longer then Band #1, informed me that we already had played with these folks while they were local nobodies. Twice.

*shrug*

Archived