I made my wife laugh...

kpatz

• Members

Last weekend we had to run to Home Depot and on the way there there were a bunch of yard sales.

Every one we would pass, I would glance over at the goods as I drove by, and then say, "Darn, no Jupiter-8!" After about the 3rd yard sale I did this, my wife laughed at me. ;)

Am I really that pathetic, hoping for a vintage synth bargain to turn up in a yard sale? :facepalm:

• Members

Last weekend we had to run to Home Depot and on the way there there were a bunch of yard sales.

Every one we would pass, I would glance over at the goods as I drove by, and then say, "Darn, no Jupiter-8!" After about the 3rd yard sale I did this, my wife laughed at me.
;)

Am I really that pathetic, hoping for a vintage synth bargain to turn up in a yard sale?
:facepalm:

I see there are worse cases than me.... hmmm .... that is encouraging... so there is hope for sex afterall.... great news. :cool:

• Members

Every one we would pass, I would glance over at the goods as I drove by, and then say, "Darn, no Jupiter-8!" After about the 3rd yard sale I did this, my wife laughed at me.
;)

Am I really that pathetic, hoping for a vintage synth bargain to turn up in a yard sale?
:facepalm:

No, it's rare but it does happen.

My friend got an SH-101 at a yard sale. He asked the old lady how much, and she said "well it's plastic, and it might be broken, so is $5 ok?"

When he got it home he realized the it's broken part was just that it was set on a noise patch. Gotta love old ladies.

• Members

It happens sometimes, but these days it's so rare it's barley worth the trouble IMO. The number of yard/garage sales you have to go to where you find anything even INTERESTING (Let alone a "deal") is a daunting task at BEST.

Same goes for Pawn shops. Everyone just googles what they have and find out what it's worth. Sure I know some old guys who have a closet full of "Steals", but the amount of time (Man hours) they spent/invested searching you could just save that money gigging to just buy one and have a better time doing it. I guess it's what your time is worth and how you spend it!

• Members

I am looking for a TR-909 at a yard sale someday
:idea:

The one I had for a while was from a buddy who cleaned carpets. Went to a guys place and started talking about music and they guy pulled it out of the closet in the box, it had been there for years. $25 but my friend gave him $75 off the job.

This was about 3-4 years ago...

Here in seattle there is the city yard sales, you never know what you will find and the other cool thing is it's like every other house is having them. Only come's around once a year...

I got some good tools, and saw some Electribes, a Boss drum machine and a few organs. No Moog's in the corner and I didn't go out more than a morning with my wife. Lucky she looks for anything that I'd be interested in and calls or sends me a picture (iPhone)...

Kaz

• Members

My neigbor down the street had a garage sale this past weekend. His wife was some ex-music industry muckity-muck and they had an "electric keyboard" that she had brought home when her company folded. They were selling it for $45.00.

Turns out it was an ARP2600. A couple of the colored bits on the ends of the sliders had fallen off and it had a post-lawsuit filter on it. I tried to haggle him down to $40.00.

The bastard would only go down to $43.00. Between his {censored}ty attitude and his habitual bowing out of AYSO coaching because of his "bad knee" I told him to {censored} off.

My wife got some Christmas angel Hummels and an Elvis collectors plate for about $3.00 apiece, so it was still a good day.

• Members

I bought a couple vintage guitars from a local old guy because he never learned to play. He was an organist and had 3 or 4 old hammonds for FREE for the taking.

If anyone's in IL, I think he still has 'em.

-Mc

Srsly? Which models? I'd sojourn in the LOL (Land O' Lincoln) for the right one (or 2 or 3 :lol:).

• Members

If people still have a bunch of junk (in their eyes) for over 20 years in there garage or basement, then they definitely have hoarding issues. Not like most of us don't, just sayin.

heh heh.

mention 'hoarding issues' around here and everyone will stop talking and turn and stare. just back out of the door, real slow. :cop:

• Members

It happens, just not to me. Wife would be happy to stop at every garage and estate sale in the Twin Cities. Most folk seem to be too well-informed around here these days - no good deals on the big stuff.

The real deal-digging to be had at garage sales is for us guys with little kids at home - well for our savvy wives anyway. Kids ages 0-3 grow out of clothes so fast that they often don't get worn much. Also lots of ladies get presents from relatives and whatnot that they never even use. I never go to garage sales but wife loves them and really knows how to work them for the kids clothes (and how to sell her own old stuff too). If wife comes home with a big bag of clothes for my two younger kids that will last the winter and cost her $20 versus $200 in the store then that is synthesizer money in the bank!

Archived