OT: Another "Am I getting old" thread

Gribs

• Members

clearly the old machinery of music promotion is a mess. back in the early 90s, they had a major network called The MTV to drug you up on the top 40 of the day. the network still exists, but mainly to sell high fructose corn syrup to obese kids. they banned music (or "the instrument of The Devil" as they call it) sometime in the late 90s.

• Members

I'm finding it harder to find new music that I like, so maybe that's a sign.

thats why i tend to like genres over specific artists. it's easier to do when you listen to dance music all the time.. but i have a few favorite radio stations on the internet and usually enjoy what pops up. i just dont have the time / energy / interest to be a "fan" anymore.. i think getting older too you're too aware of how things come and go and it gets harder to to want to commit to something.

• Members

I'm finding it harder to find new music that I like, so maybe that's a sign.

You can't listen to everything. I explore musical nooks and crannies because they interest me, not because they're current. Every time you listen to something, if you've not heard it before, it's new; if you've heard it before but you're hearing it differently, it's new.

I just looked at the most recent "Live Nation" concert ticket schedule auto-email and I only recognize two groups: Moby and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. All the rest draw blanks. I must be getting old.

Who? What? Moby, I assume, is unrelated to the supergroup-that-didn't-happen Moby Grape... ? I didn't think so. Carry on.

• Members

Maybe it was just this time around there was not much that I was able to recognize. If I go to the web page I see other stuff on the calendar like Ingrid Michaelson and Miley Cyrus (gack!) and some oldies like Def Leppard and Cheap Trick.

• Members

A sure sign of my age is most marketing seems targeted at me. The music they use, the refeferences they make to "retro" music and trends/fads.....

Apparently, my age group is making pretty good money.

Physically, I'm 45 (Just turned last Saturday) Mentally, I'm much, much less.

Also, I noticed something the other day. A Volvo station wagon drove by, and I thought to myself "Hmmmm....Niiiice ! "

• Members

Wow !!!!

Where do I stand at 74 years of age, then ? You young whippersnappers don't know the half of it!

They say a man is as old as the woman he feels, so as my lovely American wife (here in UK), is only 59, and that helps a bit!

Yup, I am still making music (but not as well), I am still mobile and mentally (I think!) active, so for all you Grunge, Garage, House and Trance fanatics, here is a recording, I have done especially for you, this morning on my Yamaha HS8 (15 Yr old) Organ, no mixers, no editing, no studio, just recorded out of the headphone socket into 'Audacity' on my laptop!.

Enjoy it if you can - earplugs recommended !!

Grey surfers, unite !

Kindest regards,

John

Archived