V-Synth as effects unit/processor ...

Diametro

• Members

I've just purchased JP-8 and a Lexicon MX200 which are being used in tandem at the moment ...

I also have JP-6 that I'm going to run through my V-Synth XT ... I've got a ways to go with it, but already it sounds quite good ...

Question ... How does the XT compare to the Lexicon in terms of sonic quality ... ??? I'm thinking I'm liking the XT more than the Lexicon ... so I might team it up with JP-8 instead ...

Any thoughts as to which one you'd use with what and why would be appreciated ... Any opinions on Lexicon MX200 would be welcomed as well ...

I also have a Ju-60 I'm running dry atm ...

• Members

Do you have a mixer? Hook your synths to the mixer and the processors to the auxiliar sends, and you'll be able to add effects to several synths at once, and have more than one effects unit per synth, if you'd like it so...

Can't comment on the quality of the effects there... the V-Synth GT I played at the store seemed to have better quality reverb than my Fantom XR had, and I think it would be more high end then the Lexicon. But to use it just as an effects unit might be overkill...

• Members

Any opinions on Lexicon MX200
would be welcomed as well ...

I have an MX200 and I've been very impressed with it so far. However, I've been using it with guitar. The sound quality is excellent and it's got a nice assortment of standard effects like reverb, chorus, etc. but I've been enjoying playing with some of the more exotic effects like reverse delay and pitch shifting. They work well with the kind of ambient music I do. Before I bought the MX200 I did some research and read a number of reviews, including Mix Magazine, and it was rated very highly, and some professional reviewers felt it compared favorably to more expensive processors.

Interesting thought about running your synth through the V-Synth's effects. I have a V-Synth (original, not GT) and I haven't tried doing that.

• Members

I had a MX400. The reverbs were sublime. Every Lexicon effect I've had always seemed so understated in the mix - the MX series being no different, but the quality was just way up there compared to the late '80s and '90s gear.

Depends how you plan to use your effects, Joe. Personally, I would have a hard time digitalizing-up the sound of a JP8 with Roland digital effects. At least not without splitting the JP8's signal and running the effects parallel. But, obviously, the application is up to you.

That said, the MX series is ideal for running parallel with a synth, maintaining the integriy of the synth's sound, but adding an extra dimension. The reverbs, especially, are just really, really good.

Archived