Value keyboard for band

Tripper

• Members

I'm in a rock band (classic/southern/new) with 2 guitars in the band mostly playing bars. The other guitar player knows how to play keys a little and we could use a good keyboard for a few songs and even for some recording. It would really be used as a rhythm instrument and not much lead.

We're looking to spend up to about $500. We'd also like it to have a decent B3 sound.

What would be a good keyboard for this purpose, new or used?

Thanks!

• Members

That's cool. Find something used in your price range on Ebay or locally, see what's out there, and if you have questions on some of them, do a search in the forum and look at the Harmony Central Reviews. Then you'll be able to ask more specific questions!

I'd say don't look for new, the only thing you can have for that price range is a Roland Juno-D, but you might look that up as well... most people don't think it sounds good enough for playing live... but it might have the sounds you want, so go to Sam Ash on 41 and play it, they had a couple last time I was there.

• Members

That's cool. Find something used in your price range on Ebay or locally, see what's out there, and if you have questions on some of them, do a search in the forum and look at the Harmony Central Reviews. Then you'll be able to ask more specific questions!

I'd say don't look for new, the only thing you can have for that price range is a Roland Juno-D, but you might look that up as well... most people don't think it sounds good enough for playing live... but it might have the sounds you want, so go to Sam Ash on 41 and play it, they had a couple last time I was there.

Will do! I've already done a bit of that, but I'm having trouble finding out information about keyboards with a B3 sound. Plus, "B3" is difficult to search for on these forums because of the character limitation on searches.

I'll dig deeper. Thanks for your help, and sorry again about the noob post.

• Members

Do you need MOSTLY B3 sounds, or do you need a piano sound or something like that along? This is very important! Please number all the types of sounds you would need.

I'd recommend getting a Use Audio Plugiator if the only thing you need is Hammond - it has a GREAT Hammond emulation, and various synth engines under the hood, too. BUT, it isn't multitimbral, so you can't play, for example, Hammond in the right hand, and some synth bass in the left hand.

Of course, you'd need a cheap controller keyboard, too. Might wanna check out M-Audio controllers or the like.

• Members

Christian Rock, you paste a link to the sticky in your first response and then you give a detailed answer in your second post. Why not just give the detailed answer to start with instead of getting on at new members, causing them to apologise... twice

Anyway, back to Tripper's question, which I consider detailed enough to warrant a thread. You have $500, you play in a rock band and you want a keyboard for rhythmic fill, in particular a good B3 sound...

I suggest the following models worth further consideration

- Roland XP30, Roland Juno G

- Korg X5d, Korg Triton

- Yamaha MO6, Yamaha Motif

If you need more than 61 keys, consider Yamaha MM8 with 88 hammer action keys.

• Members
Do you need MOSTLY B3 sounds, or do you need a piano sound or something like that along? This is
very
important! Please number all the types of sounds you would need.

I'd recommend getting a Use Audio Plugiator if the only thing you need is Hammond - it has a GREAT Hammond emulation, and various synth engines under the hood, too. BUT, it isn't multitimbral, so you can't play, for example, Hammond in the right hand, and some synth bass in the left hand.

Of course, you'd need a cheap controller keyboard, too. Might wanna check out M-Audio controllers or the like.

I would say mostly pad type sounds. Strings, Organ, Brass, B3...and of course a piano would have to be there as well for the occasional Jerry Lee Lewis Rock/Blues type stuff. (Sorry if I'm being too simple here...) Certainly nothing extravagant, which I assume we couldn't do anyway for $500.

• Members

I didn't give him an answer I think, I basically said that there's one new synth in his price range and it's pretty much useless, and that he'd have to do his research in the used market.

I was basically trying to be nice and explaining why we have the sticky in the first place - so he could go and research. I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm sorry if anyone got that impression...

• Members
You have $500, you play in a rock band and you want a keyboard for rhythmic fill, in particular a good B3 sound...

I suggest the following models worth further consideration

- Roland XP30, Roland Juno G

- Korg X5d, Korg Triton

- Yamaha MO6, Yamaha Motif

If you need more than 61 keys, consider Yamaha MM8 with 88 hammer action keys.

THANKS! I really appreciate your time (and everyone else's as well!)

• Members
I didn't give him an answer I think, I basically said that there's one new synth in his price range and it's pretty much useless, and that he'd have to do his research in the used market.

I was basically trying to be nice and explaining why we have the sticky in the first place - so he could go and research. I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm sorry if anyone got that impression...

No worries here ChristianRock. I should have looked there first. I also appreciate your help.

• Members

By the way, this might interest you:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2448771

The Roland XP 30's synth and B3 sounds are kinda meh. But the "Keys of 60s and 70s" card that he's selling has gorgeous B3s, and the Vintage Synths card would give you all the sounds you need for classic rock. It would be quite a bit over your budget but you'd be on to something very awesome.

• Members

By the way, this might interest you:

The Roland XP 30's synth and B3 sounds are kinda meh. But the "Keys of 60s and 70s" card that he's selling has gorgeous B3s, and the Vintage Synths card would give you all the sounds you need for classic rock. It would be quite a bit over your budget but you'd be on to something very awesome.

Yup. Or a JV-90, etc.

BTW there's an XP-30 and the expansion cards for sale here at HC-KSS. (Not mine)

Look into also and older Korg Trinity. I've got the rack version and it absolutely rocks !

• Members

Well, he looked at the Juno D and for the price we got it at ($275 - Display Model) he's pretty happy. Hard to get too burned with that little amount of cash.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll let you know how he (we) likes it.

• Members

I recommend maybe a Korg R3. It has a few piano sounds, at least four or five organ sounds, clavinet sounds, etc, plus a bunch of really odd sounds if you turn the right knobs. With 37 keys it does not have a lot of range. But you could play simple piano and/or organ parts on it. From my limited experience with synthesizers it would not be a bad choice at all for around $500 or even less used.

Or you could hunt around for a Univox electric piano from the 1970s for $200 or less. Also, every now and then I see used Wurlitzer and Lowery piano/organ keyboards for around the same price. Plug one of those into a big guitar amplifier and it is going to rock.

Archived