OT - earworms

Space Peeps

• Members

if you're not familiar with the term, an earworm describes the condition where you can't get a song, or a segment of a song out of your head. i first learned about earworms from an old neighbour of mine, who was german, who used the term to describe the condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm

the following are two songs that have been haunting me lately as earworms.

what earworms are you experiencing?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I have earworms constantly. It's like all the music I have ever heard is on shuffle play, in short loop segments. I go from one loop to another and it's amazing what appears in my mind. Sometimes I will be stuck on a short segment of music for a LONG time, and then it is replaced by another. I think it is some form of OCD, dunno. I'm used to it.

• Members

Earworms usually manifest themselves subconcionsluy in my music. I'll THINK I came up with a great chord.riff.progression, then I turn on the radio and think "dang, that sounds familiar.......wait........oh. {censored}. "

Anyway, as far as the topic. Nothing in my head now, but there are two that are pretty well known to be difficult to get rid of. Gilligans Island theme and the Brady Bunch Theme.......

I hate earworms.

The worst part of them:

1) Are usually horrible songs; even they are not technically "catchy", they are firmly stuck on your head.

2) Are OLD songs

3) Are RADIO or TV songs (jingles)

4) I'm sure the authors of the most of my earworms don't even remember their own songs these days, but then here I am, with that horrible looped segment being played by the DJ from Hell right on my head.

5) Earworms can be the name of a person or the quote from a movie / radio / TV commercial. Sh*t.

:mad:

• Members

I actually have two different species of earworms which occasionally infect me: [1] The "Persistent" earworm and [2] the "Elusive" earworm.

The "Persistent" ones are the kind already discussed in this thread. But the "Elusive" earworms are the ones I get when I have a really great hook and/or music idea that keeps playing inside my head; much like that other kind of earworm. I figure there's no way I'm going to forget it, because it just keeps playing over and over in my head.

But by the time I have the opportunity to sit down and think it through with either my guitar or the piano, the idea has somehow completely vanished from my memory! :confused: And the harder I try to coax it back, the more elusive it becomes. Bad earworm, bad!!

I guess that I really, really need to learn how to write sheet music. So many great ideas have just vanished into the ether. :facepalm:

• Members

That hardly ever happens to me with a particular song. But when I am operating my Roland MC-303 or using an arpeggiator on my Korg R3 with headphones on I will hear sequences in my head afterward for hours unless I put on some Jandek or Robert Pete Williams.

• Members

I didn't read any of the songs you guys posted because I didn't want to get infested with my own worms! :)

For me- it'll be a song I've been practicing. Sometimes after band rehearsal I'll hear it all night in my sleep.

• Members

Lily Allen's '{censored} you' was the last 'uninvited popsong'. A mild urge to 'skip along while flipping the bird' wouldn't leave for several days.

but I always have a shifting variety of motifs or sounds that float around in me noggin' every day..

• Members

Can you imagine going to the doctor for your earworms, and they prescribed Jandek? :) I saw Jandek live a few years ago, I went just for the experience, and really enjoyed him.

That hardly ever happens to me with a particular song. But when I am operating my Roland MC-303 or using an arpeggiator on my Korg R3 with headphones on I will hear sequences in my head afterward for hours unless I put on some Jandek or Robert Pete Williams.

• Members

I had Bat for Lashes' "Daniel" stuck in my head for so long I think I could play it forward & backward in my head... totally earwormy song for me.

I hate to admit it, but Lily Allen's "{censored} You" is another one so shaft9000 you're not alone on that one... plus it's pretty good to have playing in your head if you're as antisocial as me.

- J.

Archived