Stombox/Live Sampling?

Syyle

• Members

I am a guitar player/singer. I want to incorporate some live audio samples into our sets. Say, for an intro to our set I want to queue in a pre-recorded audio sample that is 0:30 long. I want something that I can operate with my feet.

Are there any units that can do this? Any units that have a large sample bank (say, 20-30 different samples)?

I want to avoid using a laptop or any type of audio interface (Firewire, USB, etc, etc...). I have tried to incorporate my laptop before with an M-Audio ProFire 2626, but I had so many driver issues and inconsistencies with performance that I just couldn't depend on the laptop.

Any ideas?

• Members

i'm thinking you should still be able to get them from some retailers, but they have a new upgraded model 404 coming out soon. i really wouldn't hesitate to buy either the 404 or the FCB1010 used though (in good condition, obviously), they're both pretty robust and that would certainly save you some cash.

either way, it'll take a bit of effort to get everything set up for what you'd like to do with it but these two should serve you well.

• Members

Say, for an intro to our set I want to queue in a pre-recorded audio sample that is 0:30 long. I want something that I can operate with my feet.

Are there any units that can do this? Any units that have a large sample bank (say, 20-30 different samples)?

Please specify: do you need 20 to 30 samples ALL AT ONCE? Or just one at a time?

Lets assume its one at a time, because really how much can you do with your feet while singing and playing guitar (and we'll assume you're not Barbara Dennerlein).

First, there's the Boss RC-50, which I have a love-hate relationship with. It has 99 memory spots, and I think 48 minutes mono sample time. Although its a looper, you can use it for One Shots. A major downside is that its pretty big. Look into it though, its pretty cool

Second, you can check out that Digitech Jamman. Lots of memory spots, hours of time. CF card I think. Not a lot of manipulation, though. But if you're just loading stuff on for playback, you should be all cool for school. Plus its small!

That's all I can think of for now. Let us know what you get!

• Members

korg microsampler! theres one in the shop here in NZ and its loads of fun too. Not sure how easy it would be to sync live (like in terms of a click track for a drummer), but it would have enough memory and sample slots for your needs.

It's midi, so you could hook up a midi foot controller.

• Members

+1 on the SP-404. I used it for exactly your purpose before I sold it. You can store and immediately access, if I recall, 120 individual samples. Really long ones. You can DJ a party with one of these if you really wanted.

If you want to spend a bit and buy new, the upgraded SP404 uses SD cards for memory which is a good thing. The original one uses up to 1 Gig CF cards which was enough time for me to use the SP-404 with a small mixer and mics to record practices and live sets as well.

I've never used the Behringer but I've seen postings on the Roland Clan forum saying it works well.

I had the SP-404 on a stand and triggered samples using the pads. Set up properly you can trigger samples quickly enough that unless your song is really tightly timed, you can trigger it with your picking hand without problems.

I looked into the Digitech JamMan and the Boss RC-20. Both are excellent tools but not good for this type of thing since you have to cycle through a line of samples to get to the one you want. They have an advantage of also being capable live loopers so it still may be worth a look.

Same goes for the RC-50 but for the money, you only get three available samples at any given time.

I've tried using an MPC1000 and while it can do it, setting it up and programming it is too much of a committed lifestyle for me.

Do you have a drummer? If so, there are a few more options. My drummer uses a Boss SPD-S to great effect.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's an amazing effects box as well.

Archived