Korg m50 brass vs. Roland Juno Di or Stage

vinceg

• Members

Sorry all, probably shouldn't post this but I'm stuck in analysis paralysis. I'm looking for a 2nd deck to perform with. First deck is a Nord Stage EX Compact. I need brass, strings, and some of the conveniences that come along with a second keyboard.

The question is the brass sounds on the M50. I listened to them a long time with headphones. I listened to them side by side with the Junos. They both sounded fine. I'm already leaning heavily toward the M50. I just like it .... the features, the flexibility, the price point, etc. Plus, I've been playing Roland stuff forever and wanted a change. I would already have bought it by now except that I've seen lots of notes where people bash the quality of the brass sounds.

So now I keep second guessing myself. I know I listened to them -- more than once -- and thought they were OK. On the other hand, I know it's easy to see/hear what you want to see/hear when you have a limited evaluation of something.

So, what am I missing? This is just classic rock cover band stuff so I don't need the world's best brass simulation but they need to be decent. Can someone clue me into what I should be listening for to determine if it will sound good in a live mix.

By the way, my current brass patch comes from an RD-700. Not phenomenal by any stretch, but does get the job done. (switching gear to go to light weight rig -- too much pain with the RD).

• Members

I'd say go back and listen some more...it's something you're going to need to choose for yourself. In almost 30 years of playing in rock bands of all shapes and sizes, I've never been able to get what I need out of any Korg product as quickly and effectively as the Roland stuff. You might be better off with a Juno G plus the Ultimate Keys expansion board if you can afford them. The G is also lightweight.

Archived