Would anyone ever start their own analog synth company?

• Members

I'm wondering if any sound designers and engineers on here have thought about it. I'll tell you there is such a resurgence in analog, it would be neat to start seeing "boutique" synths, they same way "boutique" amps and guitars made their way into the marketplace in the late 80's early 90's.

And yes there are a ton of software synths and samplers out there, but there is something just so magical about a real instrument that can exist outside of the computer mainframe. There are indeed some very creative people who are not using computers for their writing. Now the pragmatic and the practical... yes computers (recording/mixing/mastering platform) alrighty then! No argument there!

Finally, the whole thing about it being too expensive and not worth it is just a cop out argument in my opinion. It's like a bullying gesture that just seeks to "tow the high tech, PC/MAC party line" in favor of more and more and more and yet more software, because it would be "sacrilege" not to do so. It sounds like complacency to me or maybe too much too lose when you are glued to a computer for everything else? And who says technology has too exist to serve the ever dominating, holier than thou, computer? So many people must use a computer for 90% of what they do, ya think it might be nice to treat the last 10% to something a little more fun and interesting?

It's like the way people used to say that organic was too expensive and now the prices on organic is far lower (yes still higher than the average) but lower due to the increasing demand for it. What about the budget analogs of the 80's. They made them then, so why not now? And back then they were made in Japan, probably a hell of alot more expensive to manufacture then what's coming out of China.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes! I even tried to move one of my friends, a lazy yawning person, in that direction. He is good in electronics. But he is bad in working habits. I have a vision about it, really.

I am not an engineer, but all my gears would be with minimum 32 polyphony, 16 parts multitimbral and DAW enabled. They might even have sort of MC Roland sequencer,... OK, I will stop now, maybe someone will steal my idea and get rich :cop:

• Members

Nice, glad to hear it. Thanks for joining the thread. By the way, while I may have come across bashing computers, I'm really not...I personally think that we need to develop a "breathing room" aesthetic. Yes, DAW enabled modern analog synths!, Yes, USB.....yes, yes, yes! Two independent creatures can exist side by side and enhance, draw out the strengths in each. Andromeda's are shipping again according to another thread. The intereset here is very real. For the first time in my life, I saw a Juno 60 going for $900 on ebay. More and more, musicians simply want real analog in their arsenal? More new analogs = price drop in vintage synths, if they can equal or surpass them, as the few that have been released post late 90's have shown.

• Members

I'm wondering if any sound designers and engineers on here have thought about it. I'll tell you there is such a resurgence in analog, it would be neat to start seeing "boutique" synths, they same way "boutique" amps and guitars made their way into the marketplace in the late 80's early 90's.

Hmm....

(And that's just a *sampling*.)

• Members

Spend another six months to a year designing the circuit and spec'ing out the parts and chassis. If you have stayed off HC and worked really hard it should now be time to start production.

Hope you have a marketing plan, and a warehouse or storage of some sort, and some basic accounting and ERP software, and a distribution network, and lot's of working capital, and a place to assemble and test, and someone to answer the phones to take orders, and run the web site, and answer customer complaints, and....and.....and.....

• Members

I think he is a good example of how to start small

That's a good example of how not to make your synths look.

What's funny is half or more of the people that want analog don't even know how it's different from a digital synth. All they know is that so-and-so said analog is better or cool.

Running a sucessfull business is 80% running the business and 20% or less the product.

• Members

Hope you have a marketing plan, and a warehouse or storage of some sort, and some basic accounting and ERP software, and a distribution network, and lot's of working capital, and a place to assemble and test, and someone to answer the phones to take orders, and run the web site, and answer customer complaints, and....and.....and.....

You have to have a product to sell first and the confidence to market it. A market plan is always a must with the capital being next. If your capital is low then start a small company. If you have an idea it is better to start somewhere then not at all. And yes I practice what I preach. :thu:

• Members

Yeah, I would love to do something like this. Actually what I want to do is start an organization for open-source synthesizer projects. I think it would be great for the dedicated enthusiast to be able to have input in the design process, and also to future-proof designs so that conceivably they can live on indefinitely. I have no idea how to make that profitable, though.

• Members

and someone to answer the phones to take orders, and run the web site, and answer customer complaints, and....and.....and.....

Analogue solutions is a good example of how not to do that. Doesn't answer the phone, doesn't respond to emails, lost my order for an oberkorn a while back.

• Members

Scenario 1: Separate press releases from Roland, Korg, and Yamaha all announcing the launch of all new analog synthesizer designs for the new millenia.

Scenario 2: Roland, Korg, and Yamaha print press releases announcing the lauch of all new software synths emulating analog circuits.

What would peak your curiosity more? You tell me?

I just wanted to say that this is not about business models. This about applying the same sound business sense any skilled businessman would. The point is not to defend start ups, its simply to acknowledge the demand... that is why I threw in the above scenario just to shake things up a little.

So....let's suppose that the big brand name synth manufacturers and even some of the mid sized ones planned on releasing a completely fresh analog design, why shouldn't it be a hit if done with the right marketing, design and the same business acumen they have always followed? The business model argument just subverts this thread because who is to say that even a small software start up, restaurant, or any start up for that matter could fail without sound business practices?

• Members

I don't think you can dismiss the business model as being irrelevant to the discussion.

So....let's suppose that the big brand name synth manufacturers and even some of the mid sized ones planned on releasing a completely fresh analog design, why shouldn't it be a hit if done with the right marketing, design and the same business acumen they have always followed?

They aren't going to do this BECAUSE following a sound business model for them clearly dictates that it's not profitable. If they really, really thought there was money in selling a new line of all-analog synths, don't you think they would have done so by now? There's not enough demand to justify the development costs or to sell them at the prices they would have to command. As a big business, they need to make maximum profit with minimum cost, and right now, that's falls squarely in the digital domain.

• Members

Hey Electric, I truly value your comments and opinions...but this time I am not so much going to disagree but rather offer some interesting trends on the surge:

Ebay prices for vintage analogs are rising considerably, so much that I'm shocked at the prices. Consider this: if software and digital emulations are what people really want, why aren't prices for vintage analogs leveling out or dropping? They are rising through the roof! Every time a thread is started about the Alesis Andromeda this and that, there are waves of replies.

Who is to say that the big companies aren't discussing the possibility of a flagship analog like the Andromeda? Alesis had some problems, but they are a "big boy" corpororation and here to stay it appears-despite the changes.

With the Andromeda a major risk was taken, but it paved the way for others to reconsider launching newer analogs. Tom Oberheim had so much pressure to re-release his SEM, it's now a reality, and with better parts apparently.

There is so much technology now, that the concept of analog may change as well. Finally many big businesses are manufacturing in China; who's to say you couldn't have your R&D here and even some pre/manufacturing (like Fender had done with some of the guitars) and the final assembly overseas?

• Members

They do, but 1) they be pricey, and 2) they don't make a ton of 'em. They're boutique.

I think Roland could do it cheaper than Moog if they so desired. It is more of an issue of it is too easy, less risky, to do what they are doing. It seems that Musicians Friend sells more Voyagers than any "Synth" by Roland. So there is probably some volume in it.

• Members

I think Roland could do it cheaper than Moog if they so desired. It is more of an issue of it is too easy, less risky, to do what they are doing. It seems that Musicians Friend sells more Voyagers than any "Synth" by Roland. So there is probably some volume in it.

Ah, but Korg sells more Microkorgs than Moog sells Voyagers. :)

A big deal here is the polyphonic aspect, frankly. Monosynths are pretty easy to make, even under digital control. Which is why you see a ton of models made by one or two man shops.

Polysynths are not easy -- they usually require circuits-on-a-chip to be efficient designs. (Although SMTs can get very small these days -- I wonder if the Sunsyn and Omega 8 is that way?)

There is some "nostalgia" factor with the Ebay analogs so don't use that as a leading indicator. Even with Tom Oberheim's SEM, you have threads ALREADY at VSE bitching that the new model's not quite exact. :lol:

There does seem to be a trend to move away from an all-VST shop, usually by adding an analog, in the music world. At least in indie electronic etc. So it could be done. Whether or not it *will* be done, who knows...

• Members

• Members

I'm wondering if any sound designers and engineers on here have thought about it.

i thought about it, and dismissed it as a terrible idea. then i realised i had to finish the customer's mocha in time to leave so i could drive 40 minutes to my other job at the newspaper.

Archived