question re: controlling a nord electro with another clonewheel

kingvavy

• Members

I've used a roland vk-7 for over 10 years now...my playing technique is completely based on that board. Is it possible to create a midi setup where you could use the drawbars of the vk-7 to control the organ of a nord electro 3 set up underneath?

Thanks

• Members

Probably so, but I suspect you'll need a widget like the MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus (EPP) to do so. I'm pretty sure that the VK7 sends out MIDI cc#s from the drawbars, but most likely they don't match the NE3's drawbar cc#s...if they did match, then it would just be plug and play. If they don't match (which I'm pretty sure is the case), you need something like the EPP to map from one to the other. I use an EPP with my Voce MIDI Drawbars to control an NE2. I now use the NE3 and there were differences in mapping between NE2->NE3, so I have not yet reprogrammed my EPP to correspond with the NE3. It's on my list of projects, but not an extremely intuitive or fun thing to do!

Regards,

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi all, been gone/lurking for awhile. I know this is an old thread but I wanted to relate my experience of using a Korg CX3 for a weekend. I preferred the B3 sound of my Nord Electro II rack so used the CX3 to control the Nord and it worked GREAT- CX3 drawbars controlled the Nord drawbar sound with no additional tweaking. So sounds like that may be the way to go for a hassle-free clone/Nord combo. But the CX3 is such a great clone most wouldn't go that route anyway- my personal preference is just my personal..preference.

I would like someone verify this, though, as this event happened 4 years ago and I may have been hallucinating.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Probably so, but I suspect you'll need a widget like the MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus (EPP) to do so.
I'm pretty sure that the VK7 sends out MIDI cc#s from the drawbars, but most likely they don't match the NE3's drawbar cc#s...if they did match, then it would just be plug and play.
If they don't match (which I'm pretty sure is the case), you need something like the EPP to map from one to the other. I use an EPP with my Voce MIDI Drawbars to control an NE2. I now use the NE3 and there were differences in mapping between NE2->NE3,
so I have not yet reprogrammed my EPP to correspond with the NE3. It's on my list of projects, but not an extremely intuitive or fun thing to do!

Regards,

Eric

good input carry on good discussion

• Members

For the record, if you buy the Event Processor from Ashby Solutions, the guy who runs the place will program it for you inexpensively. Unless you are uber-geeky and comfortable with sysex, the thing is hard to figure out. I think maybe the software that is supposed to make programming it easier is Windows-only.

• Members

I've used a roland vk-7 for over 10 years now...my playing technique is completely based on that board. Is it possible to create a midi setup where you could use the drawbars of the vk-7 to control the organ of a nord electro 3 set up underneath?

Thanks

By default teh Roland VK-7 sends CC messages for it's nine drawbars using #70 thru #78.

By default teh Nord Electro 3 uses CC #70 thru #78 to allow control of it's lower manual drawbuttons "Swedish for drawbars".

Midi out of VK-7 to Midi in of Nord Electro 3 and viola' it works.

You may want to swap the arrangement and put the Nord on top because teh Roland is actually teh lower manual.

Were you just messin' with us?;)

Archived