Out of tune Hammond Organ. I thought it wasn't possible!!!!!

PartsTele101

• Members

My L102 is very out of tune. Its a mid 60's tonewheel model. Its so out of tune, when I play an Eb, for example, It registers a 26 cent flat C. I have oiled it correctly with real Hammond oil. I thought it wasn't possible for a tonewheel organ to be out of tune!!! How is this???????

• Members

Most likely what is happening is that somewhere there is enough drag to slow the motor down. With the original synchronous motor that required a start motor the run motor could lock on at half speed if the start motor hadn't gotten everything to full speed before it was released, otherwise it would just stop. The synchronous motor locked onto the 60Hz AC cycle to maintain the constant speed. I can't recall if L's have the synchronous motor or not. Anyway, something is holding it back. It could be something like the scanner is gummed up.

Good Luck.

• Members

It is the model with only one motor. No start motor. I just got this organ, someone wanted rid of it and I couldn't help but to snatch it up. It was probably 30 years since the last time it was oiled. Even after oiling it and playing it for a long time, it was still out of tune by the same amount. Do you have any suggestions on how to remedy this?

• Members

L100s don't have scanners or start motors.

You have 30-year-old dried oil gumming up on your bearings and gears. This stuff must be removed, pouring fresh oil on it will not work.

If you continue to operate it like this you will either burn out the motor or the tone generator will destroy itself.

Stop using it immediately and get it serviced. This is not a job for the novice. The TG is a complex mechanical assembly that should only be serviced by an experienced tech.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

My Hammond 1957 B3 was out of tune (1/4 tone). I adjusted with a screw driver the potentiometer located on the converter 50/60Hz PCB to raise the speed of the generator and was able to tune the organ to 440hz.

Archived