Questions about Roland JX-8P

DawdlePuss

• Members

Hello, all. Is anyone aware of whether or not it is possible to modulate a single DCO using the LFO rather than both? I read through the manual, but it didn't really seem to clarify. Also, and this is really more a of a general 80's synth question, how reliable are membrane buttons? Thanks. :)

• Members

Yes, the JX-8P has these parameters:

14: DCO 1 LFO - controls LFO mod depth of DCO 1

26: DCO 2 LFO - controls LFO mod depth of DCO 2

The envelope can modulate the depth of the DCOs separately too:

15: DCO 1 ENV

27: DCO 2 ENV

This info is on page 15 of the manual.

When I had a JX-8P briefly a couple years ago, the buttons worked fine. They aren't membrane buttons like on your microwave; they're tactile switches underneath the membrane panel, much like on a DX7.

• Members
I blame the fact that I was looking at the manual at 4:30 in the morning that I didn't notice these details. Thanks for the info.
:thu:

No problem. :) One thing I thought of later on, is that pretty much any synth that offers oscillator sync will have individual modulation controls for each oscillator. That's how you can get the Cars' "Lets Go" sound. :)

• Members

Also, and this is really more a of a general 80's synth question, how reliable are membrane buttons? Thanks.
:)

Membrane buttons are pretty reliable...I've had my JX8P since I bought it new in 1985 and never had any problems at all with the buttons. It was heavily used during the first 10 years I had it.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

The JX-8P is a nice inexpensive polysynth. It's missing a few things like PWM and its envelopes are slow, but it can do pads like no other. I had one once (I used it in Kristen's Song in my sig) and didn't want to part with it. I would certainly get another one if I had the space. Velocity and aftertouch on an analog poly was a rare treat back then.

If you can find a PG-800, then programming will be easier, not that it's that bad from the front panel.

• Members

I've seen people speak of slow envelopes, but what is specifically slow about them?

In my experience (with the JX-10), what it means is that even with the attack rate set at zero, the sound lacks a certain "punch." This is especially noticeable when you try to trigger, say, a bass sound with an external arpeggiator -- it just can't keep up (which is NOT to say that the JX isn't good for bass sounds -- it's just not so good at sharp/punchy bass sounds).

Archived