My new home-recording studio desk project

• Members

Hey guys,

I've tackled some other DIY projects in the past:

[how I built my speaker stands]

[how I built my synth-based home recording studio]

and I'm still finalizing the construction of my sound-proofing panels;

Today, I'll share the details of the construction of my new synth home-studio desk.

(Don, did you build yours yet? :cop: ) :D

I have to say, it was much easier than I thought!! It only took one Friday evening and Saturday morning to get to this point

First stop, the usual hardware store (Home Depot / Lowe's for the US of A residents): at Home Depot, I bought three sheets of "Red Oak" plywood, measuring 4' x 8' each:

Home-recording%20studio%20desk%20project

I decided 4' x 8' was a bit too big for my purpose and room, so, with a jig-saw, I cut the first one at 3' x 7' (aka 36" x 84"). This will serve as the main desk surface:

Note: buy the jig-saw blade for "precise cut".... it's a thin blade.. it takes forever to cut but it makes a clean, smooth cut.

Now, I had laying around two 6-space rack rails from years ago, so I wanted to build two "mini-racks" to place on top. I grabbed a couple of synth modules to measure, but I could have avoided it.... you know why they call them "19" racks?" Because they are exactly 19" wide :D

but I wanted to make sure the rack would fit :D so, I used them as glorified measuring spaceholders:

I cut the four pieces of wood using the jig-saw - and, using the trick I already showed in the "speaker stand" thread I mentioned above, I counter-sank the screws, so when I will stain them, the ugly screws won't show:

[continues...]

• Members

Voila', the first "mini-rack" is ready - It took very little time to make:

moving on to the second one - Btw, I made them 12" x 19".

and here's on Fri night, a first "draft" of the desk top with the two "mini-rack" at each side:

And I forgot to mention how I put these frames together: simply using "L-shape" metal hinges, with screws. Small for the mini-rack, big for the cabinets;

Moving on to the "legs" of the desk: I want to have a standard 19-rack cabinet on the right side, to hold synthesizer modules, and another one on the left with a door on it, and acoustic padding inside, to hold the computer in.

This is the first cabinet - the measures I chose are: W 19" x H 26" x D 36"

these are the individual pieces of the base-cabinets:

a detail of the finished cabinet - I used twelve "L-shape" brackets for each cabinet, as you can see - it's very sturdy:

detail of the cabinet angle

The second cabinet went fast:

Then I plopped the desk surface on top...

• Members

A couple years ago, I hacked together a stand of sorts, just to get stuff out of the way. Mine (unlike yours), looks bad, but it works pretty good for what I need.

I had some trouble with it wanting to collapse to the sides without sufficient bracing, but I think having almost the whole sheet on the top of yours should give it some support.

I put mine on wheels. Small, but 8 of them all together - they would be under your 2 bottom side cabinets. Really glad I did, because I've moved it around a lot, with a lot of weight on it.

If you want to put any rack gear in the bottom cabinets, it might give you a bit of trouble being 3 feet deep. I can see you using a flashlight and a long reach to get at stuff from the backside.

I used the little metal 'L' brackets for my racks too, but mis-measured slightly on the first one, and scratched up a rack unit getting it in. :facepalm:

Anyways, yours looks real good, and I'd like to see pics when you get it stained. :cool:

• Members

Polyurethane time...

I picked semi-gloss but I think I could have picked clear... it's a fairly dark red

Here's the main desk after the poly treatment - "shiny shiny, shiny boots of leather..."

moving on and applying the poly to the rest of the furniture....

here you go - more shiny happy people:

and building and staining the door for the cabinet that will house the computer, power and accessories:

a few more miscellaneous things needed for the desk: hinges for the cabinet door, felt to place under the cabinets to avoid scratching the floor, a set of sliding mounts for the computer keyboard

• Members

....a few more miscellaneous things needed for the desk: hinges for the cabinet door, felt to place under the cabinets to avoid scratching the floor, a set of sliding mounts for the computer keyboard

I was going to ask about a slide for a computer keyboard - thought maybe you were going to go computer-less there for a bit. :lol:

Everything looks great - looking forward to seeing the final result. :thu:

• Members

You know what you need to give it the professional finishing touch? Hide those plywood edges with iron-on real wood edging.

You can buy it a Lowes and other hardware chains. Just heat it with an iron and melt the hot glue, then trim the edges flush when the glue sets. Should do it before you stain and seal the edges tho!

I used birch edge tape on my Synth of Doom cabinet, and you can't even tell that it is not solid wood.

• Members

You know what you need to give it the professional finishing touch? Hide those plywood edges with iron-on real wood edging.

You can buy it a Lowes and other hardware chains. Just heat it with an iron and melt the hot glue, then trim the edges flush when the glue sets. Should do it before you stain and seal the edges tho!

I used birch edge tape on my Synth of Doom cabinet, and you can't even tell that it is not solid wood.

Detail work now.

A lot of it will be hidden, by doors and rack ears and what-not, but the main table edge will be exposed. Staining it looks good, but like you say, just a little extra work now would really set it off.

Then again - it's easy for us to say. We're not doing the work. :lol:

• Members

Your basement studio is tres cool :eek:

I'd like to see pics of the finished desk and all your synths/rack gear set up down there.

I'm terrible at carpentry even though my grandfather was a carpenter and I spent a lot of time fooling around in his shop basically making messes. :(:)

• Members

and here is the happy family united:

What a great idea! Turning legs into racks! I think i will go your way. :thu:

Polyurethane - that's the best choice you went. I'd say you have experience there.

BTW, nice set of tools. I again begin to suspect that you are a mafioso.:cop: (hint: tools can be used for other purposes) :D

Archived