What is making this change?

Fisnotigut

• Members

Can anyone ID the synth in the video? The best look at it is around 0:57. I can't figure out what it is.

Whatever it is, it has rather horrendous stair-stepping in the cutoff knob, if that's what was used for that opening sound...

• Members

But you're right. The cutoff change is BAD.

Isn't the 'stepping' just filter resonating with harmonics of the underlying tone?

I think there is a critical amount of resonance where some filters will 'ring' only at resonant frequencies... sweeping the filter produces discrete pitches. If you turn up the resonance further, then it will whistle at all frequencies.

• Members

I think it also might be a Prophet 10, because it looks like the keyboardist has his left hand on a lower manual. Also, from the camera pointed at the stage, the synth looks very deep.

It also could be stack on a Rhodes or something.

P10 does not have that wood panel above the keys, it's a P5. And yes it is on a Rhodes.

• Members

I guess you're right, it is a P5. It's hard to tell with only one angle shot at the keyboardist. That said, the bass line sounds like a P5. :)

Don't know about that resonant filter sweep, it seems to be to "steppy". Maybe they had just gotten their paws on a Prophet 600 for the recording...

Archived