Leslie 145 HF driver suggestions?

The Pro

• Members

Original Jensen V-21 is the best sounding. It also can only handle 40 - 50 watts without shredding.

Whatever driver you use, get one with a phenolic diaphragm, NOT metal. Metal drivers have too much high frequency response and will sound harsh. Nothing much above 4-6 kHz comes out of a Hammond.

Also match the impedance to the crossover - original driver is 16 ohms, and if you put an 8 ohm driver in a leslie, the crossover point will change.

• Members

For studio work, I prefer the original Jensen V-21. It has the sweetest sound of all.

I have used Atlas drivers for gigging with pretty good results. I have not tried the driver that Tony at BT Productions offers.

I'm currently using a V-21 in my home 142, and the high power Speakeasy drivers (not sure who the OEM is on these) in my Speakeasy Decimator rig. I like them better tonewise and power handling wise than the Atlas I was using before.

• Members

Eric how have you been? I am going to Springsteen Sunday. Possibly the last performance of the band....

Doing great, thanks for asking. Yourself? What's up with the "last performance" for Springsteen band? I had not heard they were calling it quits.

Back on topic @ The Pro - any decisions made on the Leslie driver?

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Hey there Pro!

!

Dan88s seemed to be (initially) pleased with it, maybe he will chime in for an update.

I like the sound of the Jensen. I haven't been using my Leslie at gigs much, because we don't have enough channels to mic it and I'm hauling half the PA in my van so there's no room, but I have it down in our practice room and I hook it up once in a while. I stopped taking it to gigs with the loud band as I don't want to blow it up again, but the other band, I could definitely use it if I had the room to transport it.

Archived