Anyone here compare a real Mellotron to an M-tron?

JoeBuck

• Members

I have owned a Mellotron for about 15 years. I have three tape sets and it's been serviced and is reliable. I love it. That being said, it's worth a decent amount of money and with the M-tron only costing like $150 I'm tempted to sell it. I've gotten rid of all my synths over the year with the exception of an SH-5 (which I think I'm going to sell) and the Mellotron. Are there any other Mellotron owners here? If so, have you ever done a side by side comparison?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

If it's any help at all, there's a track i did
entirely with the Manikin Memotron, which uses the same data files as the M-Tron.

You might be able to tempt me with that SH-5, depending on price and where you are. Unless you really are in Matapolo, Costa Rica, in which case the shipping would be a killer.

fify

• Members

I have a Mellotron but I don't have M-tron. I don't do software. However, I know a guy who lives close to me who has both. I asked him how M-Tron compares to the real thing and he said it sucks. I think he prefers the Pinder CD-Rom loaded into his ancient Akai sampler for fake Mellotron. He raves about the the Pinder samples. He plays his Mellotron awash in digital delay and I couldn't really tell the difference between the Pinder cd and the real thing. I prefer my tron dryer than he does.

If you do decide to sell, I'd love first crack at some of your extra tape frames and tapes. I'm desperate for mixed brass and choir. PM me if you go that route and don't mind splitting 2 of the frames from the tron.

• Members

How can real mellotron be different from a recording of itself?

IMHO, for all who feel there's a difference, it's a mix of psychological effects and differences between tapes in their mellotron and tapes in mellotron used for making M-Tron. Otherwise, there can't be any differences, because the samples of M-Tron IS the sound of a real mellotron.

• Members

If it's any help at all, there's a track i did
entirely with the Manikin Memotron, which uses the same data files as the M-Tron.

You might be able to tempt me with that SH-5, depending on price and where you are. Unless you really are in Matapolo, Costa Rica, in which case the shipping would be a killer.

I'm not in Costa Rica anymore, I'm in Delaware. You can PM me about the SH-5 if you'd like. Mine has been serviced and had the power supply rebuilt.

• Members

I have a Mellotron but I don't have M-tron. I don't do software. However, I know a guy who lives close to me who has both. I asked him how M-Tron compares to the real thing and he said it sucks. I think he prefers the Pinder CD-Rom loaded into his ancient Akai sampler for fake Mellotron. He raves about the the Pinder samples. He plays his Mellotron awash in digital delay and I couldn't really tell the difference between the Pinder cd and the real thing. I prefer my tron dryer than he does.

If you do decide to sell, I'd love first crack at some of your extra tape frames and tapes. I'm desperate for mixed brass and choir. PM me if you go that route and don't mind splitting 2 of the frames from the tron.

I won't sell any tape racks separately, sorry. I heard the M-Tron demos and the Sampletron ones and they both sound good on my laptop speakers. In the end probably only geeks like us on this forum could tell the difference. Kind of like knowing the difference between a Hohner Pianet N and a Wurlitzer. It's obvious to me but I think 95% of the keyboard players I've ever met could tell the difference or even care.

soundwise, with the great m-tron samples, you'll be 95% there, of course, it won't
play
anything like a real melotron, MIDI keyboards having a feel nothing like the original's hard spongy action, lol x

This!

I've played both.

Sound-wise I guess that in a mix or even in a live environment, it wouldn't make such a huge difference.

But in playability, you know the feeling of pushing real Mellotron keys towards the tape heads: Not the best thing in the world, but very unique, indeed. No MIDI controller could give you that feeling and "spongy" action.

... now, a Mellotron could survive as long as you can repair it. A M-Tron would survive until your host computer dies and then, nothing would be able to play it. Perhaps there will be another virtual mellotron in the future.

I guess that NORD (Clavia) keyboard with the mellotron samples may be a better replacement.

• Members

You know I didn't used to do software but now I just don't care. I'm not wild about VA synths so I think I'll keep my little phatty but at the end of the day no one can tell the difference(I mean non keyboard players). I've had 2600s and two CS-80s and every monosynth inbetween but I don't really miss them. I'll miss the SH-5 if I do sell it because it does a ton for a non modular but I guess I give up. I hate servicing them and the space they take up so I guess I'm just over it. There are things that I miss about all of the stuff that I used to have but I guess for me the bad outweighed the good. I don't gig anymore but it was hell rolling into a gig with a mellotron a 2600 a moog source and a Pianet N.

• Members

I've owned a M400S for a number of years too, and it's the only musical instrument I could sell the same price I bought it, I guess because it's rare and keeps its value when taken care of.

Advantages of a real Mellotron :

- It's the real thing, from the special design in white color, to its unique keyboard feel, etc.

Disadvantages of a real Mellotron :

- Only three sounds available during a performance.

- Often/always needs adjustments when moved/on the road.

- Tapes have limited lifetime.

- Tapes have a 8 seconds time limit (no, it's not cool nor fun).

- Allergic to humidity (unless like me you installed a permanently on 3,5 W light bulb inside the cabinet).

Do I regret my decision? Absolutely not. The only reason why I would ever need one again is if I would do a lot of tributes to prog bands. :wave:

• Members

You know I didn't used to do software but now I just don't care. I'm not wild about VA synths so I think I'll keep my little phatty but at the end of the day no one can tell the difference(I mean non keyboard players). I've had 2600s and two CS-80s and every monosynth inbetween but I don't really miss them. I'll miss the SH-5 if I do sell it because it does a ton for a non modular but I guess I give up. I hate servicing them and the space they take up so I guess I'm just over it. There are things that I miss about all of the stuff that I used to have but I guess for me the bad outweighed the good. I don't gig anymore but it was hell rolling into a gig with a mellotron a 2600 a moog source and a Pianet N.

I hear you. Unless you're a glutton for punishment (like me), a real Mellotron is a pretty big waste of space. It's cool. But, having one, you really do need to really want it. I don't know if a real tron vs. samples makes a big a difference as comparing a nice 2600 to a software version. I absolutely prefer electromechanical pianos over anything digital. But feel it's much easier and practical to cheat on the other stuff. I have to confess, after I got my tron, I kind of thought, wow, is that all there is? You know. three sounds, a lot of tape, clunky mechanics, noisy output, unstable tuning, huge foot print. But, now that I have it, I'd just like to make it as cool as I can and go from there. I would never recommend that anyone buy a real one. But now that I've got one, I'll be holding onto it and improving it for awhile. It's a cool peice. But hardly essential if your more interested in making music and getting things done. It's a conversation peice that occassionally has the potential to make magic.

• Members

Yeah, but Mellotron ownership says

'You Mean Business'

or

'I'm a doctor'.

AAAnyone can get a piece of software!

This post was satirical in nature.

Your post may be satirical, but there's a lot of truth to it. When you're a gear whore like a lot of us here, nothing satisfies until you get the real thing. I'm a pretty {censored}ting keyboard player. But so what, I've got a Mellotron.:)

• Members

I'm similar with records. Having the cd or mp3 doesn't count. If I know an album exists on vinyl, I can't fully enjoy the music until I track down a copy. I kinda feel cheeted if I don't get the whole experience on my own terms.

Wow! I think I just unravaled the mystery as to why my wife is no longer speaking to me...

• Members

I'm similar with records. Having the cd or mp3 doesn't count. If I know an album exists on vinyl, I can't fully enjoy the music until I track down a copy. I kinda feel cheeted if I don't get the whole experience on my own terms.

Wow! I think I just unravaled the mystery as to why my wife is no longer speaking to me...

LOL!

We're a funny breed, all right. :lol:

Archived