Soft synth recommendation ?

synth_lover

• Members

to be honest, i just bought sylenth1... I really liked the demo allot but after messing it with it for a few weeks, I think I should have just stuck with largo and alchemy. It does have a bright punchy timbre I like, but I'm not crazy about the filters or the filter control, which you can't seem to disengage.. I've been using ableton's auto filter instead of the built in ones and i've been having better luck.

• Members

I think a highly underated soft synth is Rob Papen's Albino. I think too many people wrote it off as solely a electronica type synth when it is capable of so much more.

It has a very tasty vintage Roland sound to me, very nice filters and the ability to combine analog waveforms w/ digital sampled waveforms can make for some very nice sounds.

Great for pads, leads and basses plus it has a nice sequencer as well.

I think it shines best when you roll your own sounds.:love:

• Members

The Ultra Analog deal ends tomorrow, so better snatch it up if you're thinking about it. It sounds really good, but is a bit more limited in programming options than some of the others.

z3ta+ - I like it, but have only used the demo. Don't know anything about Sylenth1.

There's a thread here about some real good deals from Native Instruments for the next few days. Four of their softies are on sale for $99 each. Reaktor for that price is a real good deal.

• Members

got Mellotron already? No?

Get Mtron

if, like me, you don't feel like maintaining dozens of banks of 40+ physical tape players crammed into a small piano... then it's perfect

most VST's have little reason to exist, but Mtron is a godsend

Already have M-Tron. Love it. But about this VCS3 again? More info please. I didn't even know anyone had emulated it yet. I seem to remember a Reaktor Ensemble maybe some time ago...

• Members

Already have M-Tron. Love it. But about this VCS3 again? More info please. I didn't even know anyone had emulated it yet. I seem to remember a Reaktor Ensemble maybe some time ago...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2498239

Not available to order till tomorrow. It'll be at:

http://www.audiomidi.com/Home.aspx

• Members

I wouldn't recommend Z3ta as it appears to be pretty much a dead product. I assume Cakewalk have RGC working on something new. The last update apparently has quite a nasty import bug too. Also (personal opinion) I think it's a poster child for second rate sound quality in software. As for what I'd recommend - I wouldn't. That's the nice thing about software - you can try it for yourself. Go try stuff and make your own mind up and, if you can't make your mind up after trying them, it's not a smart idea to ask someone elses opinion since sound quality is entirely subjective and personal. EG You'll see people recommend Zebra Or Absynth in threads all the time, but I'm not crazy on them personally.

Btw - The VSC3 emulation on offer at Audiomidi is the cut-down XILS 3. It's done by a former Arturia employee IIRC and requires you to install the ilok software (although it doesn't require an actual hardware dongle as it uses one of those e-licenses). Decent deal for $20 if you don't mind that.

• Members

Thank you guys for replying. I appreciate it. I know many of the makers of soft synths have demos on their websites but I don't think those demos are the best way to make a decision as I'd imagine these guys use the best in their products for those demos. Plus, with some products having hundreds of sounds it would be hard to make a judgement based on a few minutes of listening. Also, many of the makers seem to use similar sets of popular sounds used by their competitors to demo their products. That's why I thought asking you guys would be a better way since I'm assuming many of you own different soft synth products and must know a great deal about them.

I also know every body has a different taste and preference but you'd still get an idea of which product seem to fare good.

Thanks again.

• Members

I appreciate it. I know many of the makers of soft synths have demos on their websites but I don't think those demos are the best way to make a decision as I'd imagine these guys use the best in their products for those demos. Plus, with some products having hundreds of sounds it would be hard to make a judgement based on a few minutes of listening.

I meant not audio demos, but demo versions that you can download from developer's website, install and try in your DAW. I don't think there's any way to get a better judgement than to install these synths on your computer and try them out in practice.

• Members

I tend not to use softsynths much these days, but I'll still try out some of the new ones when they come along. Much subjectivity goes into these evaluations - while I don't think that the sound quality is EVERYTHING, if you really like the basic sound of one, and not another, it certainly has an advantage. And, of course, that evaulation is very subjective...

Of all of the ones that I've tried, my favorite is Vaz Modular - great sound (perhaps the most analog sounding of all of the virtual analogs), extremely powerful - I much preferred its sound to the Nord Modular series. The downside, of course, is that it really is modular, and unless you really are into building your own patches, it's probably overkill. This one is still windows only, so I can't use it now, otherwise I'd still own it.

Other than that, I'd very highly recommend that you try out Zebra. It is extremely powerful, but (to my ears) there is something very organic about the sound that distinguishes it from the competition.

I tried out Alchemy a little, and was impressed, though I think that the basic sound isn't as good as Zebra's. It is extremely powerful though, and it does sound good.

• Members

Other than that, I'd very highly recommend that you try out Zebra. It is extremely powerful, but (to my ears) there is something very organic about the sound that distinguishes it from the competition.

Absolutely! Amazing, liquid sound, awesome filters, sick modulation options, a lot of patches available. Urs is an amazing guy, as well! I'd recommend checking into his most awesome effects, Uhbik collection. :thu:

• Members

Z3ta+ all the way.

IMHO, Zebra is dull and boring.

Yeah, it's way over-rated. Dont get me wrong, it a good synth, but its not be all, end all praise its gotten. It has a plastic tone quality and a bit too clean, not enough umph or grit.

Plus Z3ta+ is half the price.

• Members

I bought the $15.00 Ultra Analog deal, and man does that sound so sweet to my ears, I am very impressed. I think it sounds better than my Korg Legacy Analog Collection synths to be honest. I also bought the $99 deal on Native Instruments FM8 over the weekend and I like that so much I've decide to just sell my Yamaha DX200 I was using for my FM synthesis needs.

• Members

interesting the way these things are so subjective. I think that Zebra is rated very highly for a reason - it sounds great - and much better than Z3ta+. But that's just my opinion. In any case, there is a demo, and the op should decide for himself.

Z3ta+ all the way.

Yeah, it's way over-rated. Dont get me wrong, it a good synth, but its not be all, end all praise its gotten. It has a plastic tone quality and a bit too clean, not enough umph or grit.

Plus Z3ta+ is half the price.

Archived