Any Yamaha CS1X/CS2X fans?

Nightsynth

• Members

I think my son is graduating into the need for a semi pro level synth. I remember wanting one of these (CS1X) when they came out. It seems like a good first semi pro performance keyboard. Any difference between the CS1X and the CS2X aside from the colour scheme?

Has anyone had bad experiences with this board? He doesn't live in the same state as me so I would rather get him something that he doesn't have to send to me to fix every few months.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Even other suggestions of similarly featured/priced synths. I couldn't think of many in the under $300 range that had alot of pro(ish) features, and is still somewhat current sonically.

Does the CS have drum kits? I can't remember. It seems like I recall it having a basic performance recorder as well. Am I wrong?

• Members

I don't think multitimbrality is much of a concern. That's why I want to get him a performance keyboard. Something that he can sit down and play and make some cool sounds easily. Without having to deal with learning how to program layers and understand MIDI channels and such. He's not quite ready for that yet, especially without me there to help him. That's a great youtube demo. I think he'd really like this one. I remember playing a JX-305, but I don't remember really being impressed with it. I do remember being impressed with the CS1X, especially for the price.

• Members

I'd go for the CS6X @ a little over $300.Aftertouch and just sounds better than CS1x and 2.I've owned 1 and 2 and use the CS6X for a controller[Very good] and certain sounds from the cs80.Check for the CS80 downloads and save to Card.Also CS6x and EX5r is a good combo later on.JD

• Members

Just to put back into perspective... my son is 11 and is just begining to understand synthesis. It's not his interest point in playing yet. He likes to play anything from Michael Jackson to Metallica (he recently figured out how to play the clean guitar part on the first half of the song on the keys). He doesn't need something very fancy. I remembered the CS1X because it had some quite useable sounds, very easy to edit sounds, and is quite portable.

Thanks for the other suggestions too. I've been looking into them as well. I really want to keep it simple and, unfortunately, somewhat cheap. If he lived with me, I'd be able to help him understand the intricacies of the synth world (synthesis, midi, sequencing, sampling), but because of the distance between us, I have to give him crash courses when he comes to stay with me. I just think he'll benefit from something simple, but still decent sounding and the CS1X seems to fit that bill.

The Alesis Ion would be great, but it's a bit out of my budget. I think a CS1X could/should be $200-$250. I don't know about the CS2X and CS6X cause they don't come up very much on ebay, but there's three CS1X's on ebay right now. One for $239 BIN.

Thanks again for all of your comments. I really appreciate the input.

• Members

the yamaha cs's are a bit of a nightmare to learn programming on so I wouldn't recommend one of those (6x might be ok though). The emu pk6/xk6's are a better idea (and a steal at the price they go for). And, although I'm not a fan of them - think about a juno-d.

Also, keep in mind that something with a sequencer for little sketches and songs can really keep the interest going for a new learner - the juno G, or older triton,fantom/motif for a bit more money is a good investment.

I actually like the idea of the jx-305 mentioned earlier (cheap, but it may be hard to find) - a groovebox with a keyboard... I think a lot of people got their start, and a healthy addiction to synthesis, with the groovebox line.

Oh, and everybody who still has a little bit of kid left in them would love a microkorg/ms2000!

• Members

I still have my CS-1x that I bought new back in the 90s. It gets a bad rep because the sounds in the Performance and User banks are only available on channel 1 (using 1-4), with only general MIDI (Yamaha's XG flavor) available on 5-16. There are workarounds to this if your goal is multi-timbral composition/programming, but they're a pain.

That said, I really like mine, and still use it, even though I have other, 'better' synths available to me.

As a first synthesizer, I think it's a decent choice, and its cheaper than a CS-6 or AN-1x, of course. There's a free easy-to-use Windows program that I use called Tune 'em Up for programing it via computer.

IIRC, there are ten drum kits in its ROM. There's no sequencer of any kind on board.

The arpeggiator is fun but doesn't output the pattern via MIDI. The CS-2x outputs its arp pattern.

• Members

Difference in CS1X and CS2X in tonal quality is greater than it's usually stressed. First one has only 4MB of sounds, while the second has 16MB.

Still, about the time of appearance of CS2X (and it's predecessor) all manufacturers started building their synths with lower quality components. So, it's not very much sturdy - not as much as the old Yamaha's. Also, some functions are just lacking in functionality. Portamento or multimode spring to mind.

What are alternatives?

Roland JV-80/90 with expansions that suits the musical style. If sequencer is needed, I am quite sure that JV-1000 or even much better XP-50 can be found for a good price (with some luck).

Yamaha W5/7 are cheap these days, as well as Korg 01W/fd, Kurzweil K2000, where non of them should be more than 200 USD. All of them have sequencer.

For non-sequencer gear, look up for a small but mighty Korg X5D, this board is awesome, as well as later N5(EX).

• Members

Difference in CS1X and CS2X in tonal quality is greater than it's usually stressed. First one has only 4MB of sounds, while the second has 16MB.

Still, about the time of appearance of CS2X (and it's predecessor) all manufacturers started building their synths with lower quality components. So, it's not very much sturdy - not as much as the old Yamaha's. Also, some functions are just lacking in functionality. Portamento or multimode spring to mind.

What are alternatives?

Roland JV-80/90 with expansions that suits the musical style. If sequencer is needed, I am quite sure that JV-1000 or even much better XP-50 can be found for a good price (with some luck).

Yamaha W5/7 are cheap these days, as well as Korg 01W/fd, Kurzweil K2000, where non of them should be more than 200 USD. All of them have sequencer.

For non-sequencer gear, look up for a small but mighty Korg X5D, this board is awesome, as well as later N5(EX).

I think it's important to re-note that this synth is destined for the OP's eleven year old son. I think he'll have much more fun mangling sounds by twisting a knob on a cheap CS-1x or CS-2x than digging through menus on a W5, 01W or K2000.

As for 4mb vs 16mb of ROM on each, it's true, but pedantic. For example, a saw wave takes up very little space in ROM.

• Members

Korg ms2000.

It's easy to learn basic synthesis, sounds great, cheap, and has a mic for a vocoder.

I have one I can sell to you in you price range if interested. Its not because I'm actively trying to sell it, its just that it occured to me I dont use it anymore and its a perfect beginners synth.

When I was 14 years old, I had a full time job (yes believe it), and I saved for a cs1x. Looking back, its not the best synthesizer for a beginner. You dont learn the basics of synthesis on it, its a very strange way of making sounds. Plus, it doesn't really sound that great, although it does sound okay. I know that Underworld used it on their record Second Toughest in the Infants.

However, an ms2000 is very easy to learn and has a great sound. He'll definitely learn the basics. Oscillator, filter, etc. It not only has the normal oscillators but it also has 64 (if i remember correctly) different sounds to use as an oscillator like organs, pads, etc.

So I vote for the ms2000.

• Members

I think it's important to re-note that this synth is destined for the OP's eleven year old son. I think he'll have much more fun mangling sounds by twisting a knob on a cheap CS-1x or CS-2x than digging through menus on a W5, 01W or K2000.

As for 4mb vs 16mb of ROM on each, it's true, but pedantic. For example, a saw wave takes up very little space in ROM.

Don't underestimate technological knowledge of modern days children. Most of them have grown with computers far more advanced than synths with submenus.

• 7 months later...

Archived