Is the vintage synth market headed for a downturn?

I saw an interesting article on Reverb that some of you might want to check out - here's the link:

https://reverb.com/news/is-the-vintage-synth-market-headed-for-a-downturn

With the amount of new analog synths on the market, do you think vintage models will see a price decline?

I'm not so sure. On one hand, people are still going to want vintage Prophet 5's and Jupiter 8's no matter if modern synths can "do more" or are more readily available or whatever... but OTOH, synths aren't guitars. Guitars - even old guitars - are a lot easier to keep maintained and functional - try getting voice cards for a Juno 106 - you still can, but sooner or later, the supplies will dry up - and once they do, it will become increasingly hard to keep those vintage keyboards maintained and functional. That will, of course, drive up the prices for the few that remain serviceable, but it doesn't bode well for the vintage market as a whole.

Please check out the article and tell us what you think!

• Members

The price won't down turn for vintage synths until the economy does. For example classic cars, prior to 2008 the classic car auctions were selling cars at unheard of prices. After 2008 it took over 5 years for the market to return. Right now like classic synths, classic cars are selling for more than they ever have. Every week its seems a new record is set. When the economy sours which it will it always does, those cars or synths won't fetch nearly what they were bought for.

The price won't down turn for vintage synths until the economy does. For example classic cars' date=' prior to 2008 the classic car auctions were selling cars at unheard of prices. After 2008 it took over 5 years for the market to return. Right now like classic synths, classic cars are selling for more than they ever have. Every week its seems a new record is set. When the economy sours which it will it always does, those cars or synths won't fetch nearly what they were bought for. [/quote']

The same is certainly true for vintage guitars too - they were going for a lot more before the 2008 recession than they were after it hit. Like everything else they seem to be recovering, but when the economy takes another one of its cyclic downturns, the prices will drop once again.

Outside of the normal market fluctuations that parallel the state of the economy, do you think the availability of new model analog synths is going to have any influence or effect on the overall vintage keyboard market?

• Members

I've never been much of a synth geek but I do have several electronic keyboards/synths. As a working musician I gravitate towards newer, lighter, more powerful and robust gear with the latest interfaces for connecting to computers. The closest I'll probably get to "vintage" gear are the Arturia and other soft synths I have!

• Members

I really don't think the new models will affect the market at all. The guitars built today have better electronic components, with C & C machines they are much more uniform in quality than ever before. Yet still people pay ungodly sums for a 59 Les Paul. There will always be people with more disposable income than common sense who have to have the exact same synths Keith Emerson or Klaus Schulze and Walter Carlos used warts and all.

I hope it is so I can get some on my wish list. I offered a seller 5k for an OB-Xa a few months ago and he said noooooooooooo. I hope the one Behringer makes is good.

They tend to take a while from announcement to the day you can actually walk into a store and buy the product. What did it take - three years for the Behringer Model D to start shipping? Something like that.

I'm very interested in their vintage clones too, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to start shipping. If / when they do, then I'll get excited.

LOL- I've been on the list for a Behr ringer Model D since November at my local music emporium' date=' I'm next WHEN more come in...I could order online, but I prefer to support my local yokels..:)[/quote']

I keep being tempted to do exactly that. Please let me know what you think of it.... when it eventually arrives... :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't know if you folks know about Shear Electronics. This guy built an OBX from the original Oberheim design using as many original Discreet parts he could get his hands on. He showed two Prototypes at the 2017 NAMM show. Check it out.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...log-synth.html

http://www.shearelectronics.com/

It sounds like my old OBX. You can hear the harmonix in the filter in the first sound he brings up. I haven't read or heard anything about his project lately.

Mike T.

Archived